New York Threats

Cyrstal

I'm travelling to New York in the next few days for a holiday and am a bit concerned about the current 'increased security' that is happening on the subways. Information seems sketchy on the news websites. Anyone else going and feeling nervous about it?

My neighbour was in NY on a J1 for the Summer and said that several times there were security alerts and heightened (armed) security personnel in the Subway stations in the city central areas who were stopping and searching many passengers. However there were no such checks at outlying stations or on trains destined for the city from these areas so any potential terrorist or criminal just had to board outside the city to circumvensecurity. Sounds like a lot of it was more for show than anything else. Wonder if the US authorities will read AAM and act on my comments! :rolleyes:

From Newsday.com (my underlining):
A counterterror official, who was briefed about the threat by Homeland Security authorities and spoke on condition of anonymity, said the intelligence did not reflect "on-the-ground, detailed, pre-surveillance" methods consistent with credible information. Rather, the official said, the intelligence was similar to "what can be found on the Internet and a map of New York City."

Might end up reading about some dark skinned person shot in the head 5 times just cos they were wearing a Clubman rucksack!

Roy

The family and I were in NY for a couple of weeks in August. Did not notice much security activity on subway. Loads of police activity around the financial area. There were signs, warning that you could be stopped and searched at anytime. This was fine with us as it had some resemblance of being watched and hence being safe.

The rucksacks were searched on entering all the attractions we went to. Not many people wearing rucksacks though, which was noticeable.

Did have a little nervous moment on the subway one day. A guy had a rucksack who was acting very very suspicious. We just got off at the next station.

guy had a rucksack who was acting very very suspicious

Well we're talking about the NYC subway here. There's always a fair smattering of nutters on it at the best of times.

Back