New York - Recommendations for hardware and household goods

porridge

Hi,

I am going to new york soon and am hoping to pick up some reasonably priced DIY tools and home furnishings. I would be grateful if someone could advise if there is a one stop shop for such items?

thanks

Home furnishings try TJ Maxx, great for designer cushions and bedding. What kind of DIY tools are you thinking of looking for, can't think how they would be cheaper when luggage is factored in.

Thanks,

Will definately check out TJMaxx.

I hoping to buy some work tools eg. compressor, nail guns etc. I believe that they are about half the price that they retail at here. I was planning to get them shipped back rather than putting in my luggage.

Thanks for that Leo,

I'll check out a few of those stores. Like you said it might not be worthwhile once I add VAT (21% I presume), shipping and Customs (any ideas on how this is calculated?).

If nothing else its an enjoyable passtime while the missus is i=checking out Woodbury Commons!

The excise rates and rules are explained on the Revenue site. Follow the Taxes & Duty link, Duties, Customs & Excise, Publications, Customs & Excise.

The duty payable is calculated using the rate you'll find (with some difficulty!) above, and is payable on the cost of the goods and shipping. You'll then pay VAT on top of this total.
Leo

More for the missus but you'll get the benefit as well - I bought some Egyptian cotton sheets in TJ Maxx (something like a 400 thread count) and they are the biz. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Just make sure you have your bed measurements with you. I take them off in the morning, wash em, dry em and they are back on the bed that night!

What about the voltage issues with US appliances? The type of tools you're talking about are heavy duty pieces, you need to be very careful about converters and transformers if you do import these from the US.

US appliances are at a different voltage and cycle, so don't waste your money. Only thing to buy there is petrol driven stuff like compressors, chainsaws etc. In the days before 9/11, I brought a chainsaw on board as hand luggage on an Aer Lingus flight from NY. Would never happen now!