New York next winter.

lyonsie

Never been to NY in winter, but am thinking of it this year. Would love to go early Dec. but the hotel I would like to stay in has no vacancies, so last week of Nov. looks like a runner. Would it be as nice then and in Dec. I mean as 'Christmassy' ect....
Any thoughts on this please, from all you seasoned travellers.

Its just as good. I went the last week of November/first of December and it was gorgeous... albeit very cold! You'll also be in line to be over there for Thanksgiving which is great too, make sure you check out the Macy's Parade!

Sounds good. Didn't want to book flights if there was'nt going to be any atmosphere there for the sake of a few weeks. Will be a surprise for Mr. L and while the week of 7th Dec would have been great, the hotel was'nt available. So it is looking like Nov. 23rd for 4 nights. Anyone stayed in the Hotel Elysee?? I've heard great reports and the reports on line look good too.

Be sure to go to Central Park on the Wednesday night (Thanksgiving Eve) , thats when the Macys Parade fill those giant baloons with Helium , great atmosphere , mulled Wine , Music etc and its all free. Very Christmassy.

I'd better book it quick so. Just my luck to miss out after waiting for replies.
Will do the Central Park thing and anything else that anyone wants to suggest. Thanks.

Ice Skating Rinks should be opened in Bryant Park and also at the Rockafeller Centre.

Can you tell me if shops are open on Thanksgiving. I think its Nov 26th. I have booked Nov. 23rd to 27th, and am wondering if everything is going to be closed on 26th and should I change my flight to 28th instead. Any ideas...

Hi OP I was in New York in 2007 for Thanksgiving and flew home the day after. Thanksgiving IS 26th and yes, everything is closed on Thanksgiving. We went to the parade - which was really good and then to Ellis Island which we queued for 90 minutes , so by the time we finished that, that was the whole day gone, which was grand. In 2008 I was in Chicago on Thanksgiving and to be honest, it was a bit boring - there wasn't really anything to do. I'd say NYC would have been the same except for the boat trip. So plan something like that for Thanksgiving. (hasn't put me off though - going to be in San Fran for Thanksgiving this yr )
Anyway, to answer your original question, I thought the atmosphere in the US around Thanksgiving was brilliant - quite Christmassy and it's "Happy Holidays" everywhere you go. New York is absolutely packed. You will most likely not see the tree at the Rockerfeller Centre lit though.
If you are into shopping, then I would definitely spend an extra day there after Thanksgiving cos the bargains are great. Most of the shops open at midnight but you would get lost in the crowds there (I think someone actually died in New York last year in a Thanksgiving midnight shoppers crush )
Also, as far as I remember, the skating in Bryant Park is free as well!!!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Can you tell me if shops are open on Thanksgiving. I think its Nov 26th. I have booked Nov. 23rd to 27th, and am wondering if everything is going to be closed on 26th and should I change my flight to 28th instead. Any ideas...

They will be closed, like Christmas Day here

I went in December 2006 and found it way to packed for liking. Had previously been there in Nov 05 and Jan 08 and much prefered the November and January trips. I found the queuing too much in December, I even found it too busy for the whole Christmasy vibe I was expecting............maybe its a sign I am getting old!!!!
Its the best city in the world though its my favourite place, so if you want to pack me in your suitcase I don't mind!!!!!!!

Hi all and sorry for hopping on the band wagon. Me and my OH are going 3rd Dec - 7th Dec. Any recommendations for a hotel. Its a surprise for him so far. A nice hotel not too expensive will do us fine. Am also looking for maybe sporty events to attend, any ideas

Check out Madison Square Garden for sports events - I took in a basketball game and a cirque show - ended up meeting David Letterman too

http://www.thegarden.com/

Hotel Pennsylvania is very close to this, but very basic

http://www.hotelpenn.com/

I rented an apartment myself, loved it. I think its handier than an hotel, you seem to have more freedom!

I didn't stay in Manhatten so it probably isn't relevent, I stayed in Queens as I have friends there, and took the Subway into Manhatten (10 minute trip into Penn Station)

If anyone wants the name of the apartments in Queens I have no problem posting them, its just most people will wanna stay in Manhatten when visiting NYC.

Would ye recommend booking hotel early, like now, or should I wait until nearer the time?

Just back from NY for weekend, stayed in the Wellington on 7th Avenue, 55th Street, could'nt beat it for location and price, booked end of jan, €445 each for flights and hotel for 4 nights with ebookers.

Brill place, so much to do, cold but lovely and sunny.