New York, New York !!

Lambchops

Hi,

I am off to NYC with an elderly parent (who has never gone any further that the UK before!) in a couple of weeks time.

I am looking forward to doing the whole shopping thing - JerseyGardens, Woodbury Common, Downtown...but I need to think of some things for my dad. He is not into any shows so I am at a loss for what to do with him. I was thinking of the bus tour....can anyone recommend some tours/things to do in NYC. We will be there for 6 nights.

Thanks a mill.

Well what does he like?

MOMA - museum of modern art?
Jazz clubs?
The met - catch a concert ?
History? - Statue of liberty/Ellis Island/etc...

It's New York - you can do pretty much anything that's in any city.

Lambchops don't worry, my dad was the same on his first visit there - had never been too far afield previously and loved it. One thing to consider is that it'll be very humid which might tire him out a bit, hat to cover the head is a good idea (baseball cap US-style!)

Definitely recommend a trip out Ellis Island.
Also, for the open top bus tour you can buy a ticket with a multiple day duration - you won't cover everything in one day and nice not to feel rushed.
The Rockefeller centre is less packed than the Empire State - head up to Top of the Rock for amazing views and also there is a guide in advance which was very interesting re the Rockefeller family, background in NY etc.

If you have the energy a walk over the Brooklyn bridge is worthwhile, you can get off the bus tour there, stroll over and look back over the island of Manhattan

Staten Island ferry

Stroll around Greenwich village, Little Italy, Chinatown - you could spend a day wandering around there, plenty of little coffee shops, book shops and restaurants to while away the time and watch the world go by. The buzz and energy of NY is what I think parents really enjoy.

Firstly I wouldn't be dragging any elderly parent to either Woodbury or Jersey Gardens. My opinions on both places are well versed on here but without discussing the shopping, Jersey Gardens is stuffy and Woodbury is an outdoor mall spread over many courtyards and not ideal for anyone who may have mobility issues.

Best advice for something to do is try to get a Big Apple Greeter - I think the website is [broken link removed] it's a free service and they'll be able to show you bits of New York you could miss.

Ellis Island is a powerful way to spend a day, you can't help but be moved by the emotion and history of it all.

Thanks guys. I am definetly going to do Ellis Island as seemingly my gran was on the last boat over there so might be an interesting day out.

I know your feelings on WC and JG Shesells but he'll have to put up with the shopping part as I am a total shopaholic ! : o) He'll enjoy the strolling around anyway.

Had planned on doing the whole Little Italy/Greenwich village and open bus tour thing. Staten Island Ferry is something that I wouldn't of thought of - thanks for that (and the baseball cap recommendation!).

Cheers.x

Well done Lambchops.

Just back from NYC again... with Mrs Carpedeum & two sons
Recommend.... a healthy elderly parent would enjoy these too...

Liberty Helicopters $167 (I bought Dollars when Euro was 158) per person for 15 mins around Ellis Island, Liberty and along the Hudson up to Central Park. 15 mins passes very quickly, but, you only live once. They are located next to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal (we pretended we were taking the ferry!) in Downtown near Battery Park (Ellis island trip).
http://www.libertyhelicopters.com/

The Beast Speedboat Tour
Great gas
http://www.circleline42.com/index.ihtml?page=beast
MOMA
The Metropolitan Art Museum
(N.B. begin on the top Floor with European impressionists before the crowds arrive)
Natural History Museum
Carriage Ride Through Central Park
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
Top Of The Rock - big adavantage is you can see the Empire State!
Best NYC pizzas at Lombardis at Spring Street and Mott St in Little Italy

Take a taxi to Katz's deli at East Houston St for lunch... old style NYC deli!

Greenwich village is now a bit run down - not really worth it. Tell him to walk 5th Ave, Wall St and Battery Park shoreline. While you waste time shopping send him to Central Park (Sunday especially) and Bryant Park (to sit and have take out lunch... free WiFi too) instead.

We walked NYC in the mornings and took trips in the afternoon. It was very hot 85 to 88 degrees... not too humid... just keep stocked up with water.

The hop on/hop of bus service is great. You get to see the sights at your own leisure.

Seriously look at getting a greeter. They are locals who give up about 3 hours of their time to show you NY. You can choose the area or leave it to "greeters choice". We did Central Park cos it's so vast we would never have seen the best bits on our own, next time we'll try for Harlem. And it's FREE!! We are still in touch with our greeter from before, a friend for life.

Lambchops try the Intrepid, its the sea air and space musem and its on an aircraft carrier. Dunno if its open still tho so check it out online.

Anyone got a recommendation for a guidebook? Eyewitness/Lonely Planet/Rough Guide? Not for shopping, more into culture/history but also good bars/clubs.

During my last 2 visits the highlight for us were the Fire dept museum and the Federal bank. Both offer free tours (Fed bank must be prebooked about 2 weeks ahead), and were fascinating. The Fire Dept museum is run by a lot of retired firemen, and the day we were visiting the vast majority of them were Irish ;-) They are fascinating to listen to, and the exhibits are very interesting, especially their 9/11 exhibit.
The Fed is fun, and you get to visit the gold vaults (as seen on Die Hard 3 ;-)
[broken link removed]
http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/visiting.html
Location wise pretty handy for seeing south area of Manhattan, on our visit we walked, and it was a great way of getting the atmosphere.

Dont bother going to woodbury common.It,s out in the middle of no where and just the same as the one in kildare!
You will get bargains just as much in the city.Go to the top of the Rockerfeller, the views are fantastic! I HATE heights and I went to the top!
Do the nite bus trip to Brooklyn, looking back over to Manhattan at nite is brilliant!

Anyone got a recommendation for a guidebook? Eyewitness/Lonely Planet/Rough Guide? Not for shopping, more into culture/history but also good bars/clubs.

Not for tourists is a great guide book for the secrets of the city! Also look at getting the walking tours of New York box of cards. Each walk starts and ends at a subway station. Great restaurant and bar tips on these too!

Back