New York , Las Vegas or Both?

ice

The other half and I are getting 5 or 6 nights child free this year (courtesy of the grandparents)..... want to go somewhere fun, with lots to do.

Initially I was thinking New York but friends have said Vegas would be a good option.

Do you think Vegas is too far to go for 5 nights and would it be madness to consider 3 nights in each place?

All advice welcome

Re: New York , Las Vegas or Both ??

Just back from Vegas last week, much better than NY. And a lot warmer too. Stopped over in Newark it was -5 degrees.

Re: New York , Las Vegas or Both ??

5 nights in Vegas is a little too long IMHO. NYC a better bet for that period of time. Try and do vegas again though-maybe as part of a West Coast trip. 2-3 nights would be enough.

I'd go to only one if you have only 5 days. LV is like a Disney land for adults, nothing compares to it, just super. Try the New York, New York Hotel, excellent! that way at least you'll get to see a statue of liberty and a manhatten skyline.

that way at least you'll get to see a statue of liberty and a manhatten skyline.

Thanks for the replies...I do like the idea of las vegas but thought maybe the flight would be too long...however we won't have the kids so mighn't be too bad...

Las Vegas definitely, don't think 5 days is too long, there is so much to see. You could also do a trip out to the Hoover Dam, about 40 miles away, or even a helicopter trip from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. Enjoy!

VEGAS! its brilliant! There's something for everyone. New york is great if you want to go shopping and sightseeing but if this is your only opportunity to go to las vegas then do it!

Las Vegas definitely, don't think 5 days is too long, there is so much to see. You could also do a trip out to the Hoover Dam, about 40 miles away, or even a helicopter trip from Vegas to the Grand Canyon. Enjoy!
Its less than that. Only about 15 miles.

If you're driving then make sure you go no later than 9am though as the traffic is chronic out that way. I left Vegas at 11am and it took me almost 2 hours to get there and in the desert heat that ain't nice.

I've been to Vegas a number of times and IMHO 5 nights may be a bit long. LV is a full on place and glitter-fatigue can get to you after a few nights. What we have done on more than one occasion is spent three nights in LV and then hired a car an driven to Death Valley for a couple of nights. The drive to Death Valley itself is great (about 4 hours to Furnace Creek), wide open roads with spectacular scenery - but really only to be done in winter or spring as its too hot the rest of the year.

When in Vegas take in a show e.g. Cirque du Soleil's "O" at Bellagios. Not cheap, but worth it. Be sure to book popular shows well in advance of your trip.

I would'nt try to do LV and NY in one week as you'll lose best part of a day travelling between them. If you want to spend 5 days in one spot then I'd go for NY as there is something for everybody there.