New York Information

djsim

Hello Guys,

This is a follow up to the other thread (pop the qestion) that I started. Thanks for all for your input so far, it has being brilliant. I have 3 more questions (final ones) to ask, and then I am all set:
Sorry for all these Q's but I need to get this right as it is going to be a suprise to the misses:

I have got the online approval from the Visa Waiver for both of us. This, with our passports, is all that I need, right? (I have a chip passport and my GF has a machine readable one?)

Can you recommend any nice restaurants to go to for the special nite? I was going to book the “view” restaurant, but the food reviews are not good. Might just call in for a drink.

The other half will want to go and see one of the “big” outlets. I know they are 100’s of threads debating Jersey Gardens V Woodbury Common. If you had to go to one, which would it be? As I am only there 4 days, I was thinking the Jersey Gardens would be better as you can do that in a half day, as not to waste a whole day shopping

hello once again.
the question regarding the passports are yes the chip passport and the other machine readable passport are perfect.

when you say visa waiver, does this mean the apis information ie, passport number,nationality,dob.etc entered in the system before travel..depending on the airline u choose to travel with, you can either enter it yourself before travel or get it done at check-in...

as regards the restaurants im not the best on this but i do LOVE "OLIVE GARDEN"
its amazing. its literally beside the m&ms store on time square. u have to make a reservation so u could suggest to the staff ur gonna pop the question, see what they can do for you. staff are so nice. food is amazing and fantastic view of time square. i do also love the idea of the the revolving restaurant at the roof of the marriott, im assuming thats the view is it????

and last i cannot recommed Jersey gardens enough... love it love it love it. I think its so much better than woodbury because jersey gardens is indoor and woodbury is outdoor and very very cold in winter...shopping so much better

as for the rest enjoy the moment so so much.. u have gone to so much trouble to get it all right. you have worked very hard..have a ball and best of luck again

I am a New Yorker born and bred and you must pop the question in TAVERN ON THE GREEN, the most romantic restaurant in the world. Based in Central Park.

Check it out at www.tavernonthegreen.com

I think that place is a bit on the tacky side these days and can be overrun with tourists.

Go for a bit of class: the River Cafe, in Brooklyn, and approach it by walking over the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan. Allow 45 mins for a leisurely walk if the weather's good. Views of the skyline excellent and very romantic. http://www.rivercafe.com/

As always, some great information here. I was panicking a small bit reading having all the documents ready to enter the states but it seems that I have gotten that part right anyway

I must looking into the tarven and rivercafe, thanks Bob_tg & Gulliver1.

I will more than likely head to Jersey Gardens, thanks ilovepink for the information over the last few weeks. This way I can get most of the shopping out of the way in a half a day

Yep, that is correct, the revolving restaurant is the one I was talking about. The views are meant to be fab but food can be a hit and miss.

Bob_tg, The River Cafe looks fab. Reminds me of the glass boat dinner experience. djsim, I would make this the place of proposal or the dinner after the proposal - ask Bob for the best seat. Now that you have everything under control.....!!! You must let us all know how it went for you when you come back. Step by step please

ask Bob for the best seat

When you're booking, see if you can request a table right beside the window. I wouldn't worry if you can't get one as they are all good seats, but it's worth a try. Also, Friday/Saturday wilbe busy, so it's going to be easier to get a table on a Sunday-Thursday night.

I got engaged in NYC in 2005 - he popped the question in the centre of Central Park, by the lake - highly reccomend it! We got our engagement ring over there as well!
Also went for dinner to River Cafe - fabulous and a must do!!

thanks laura28, sounds just lovely. May I ask where you purchased the ring?

Sorry to only reply now, forgot to check this thread. We got our ring in Fortunoff Jewellers, just off 5th Ave. Have just googled there and they have gone out of business so not much use to ya i'm afraid! We did get an excellent deal at the time - they gave us a great discount and we have since had the ring valued over here for more than 3k what we paid.