New York in August, what to do, broadway, exhibitions etc ??

Determined

Ok I've decided I'm ignoring the recession and am heading to the Big Apple in August. I've been twice before but long ago now and didn't have much dosh to do much then.
We may be lucky enough to be getting a loan of an apartment if not we were thinking of a house swap but not sure about that. Otherwise it'll have to be a cheapish hotel.
Would love to see a Broadway show whilst there. I travel to London a couple of times a year for the same and will be seeing Billy Eliot in June, but can anyone recommend any Broadway shows ?
Then any other must see's would be appreciated.......I'm a planner
TIA

Don't waste your time queueing at tkts you can prebook discounted tickets about 6 weeks out on www.broadwaybox.com

Rather you than me going to NYC in August. The humidity can be a nightmare. Plan lots of short trips with stops in air conditioned buildings such as shops and museums.

Go visit the Tenement museum. It's an apt building refurbished authentically in the style of the old days. Shows the way the imigrants at the turn of the century used to live. They have done research into the actual inhabitants of the buidling and the apts are decorated accordingly. It's a slice of real history as you get the history of the families as well as the building. I found it fascinating.
If you want to visit the MOMA, Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim, Empire State etc buy a City Pass. It's cheaper and helps you skip the queues.

I am going again in June, we were there in June 2005 and March 2006.
I find broadway.com to be a really good website for browsing for shows on.
If you haven't seen the Lion King I would highly recommend it. None of the other shows I have seen are still running but on that website many of the shows have short videos so you can easily tell if its your style.

If I were you I would try and book a ticket now for wicked, it is brilliant but tickets are gold dust for it, kind of from the Wizard of Oz, except centres on the wicked witch of the west etc. Saw phantom also, fan bloomin tastic!
Also, if you are looking for a top of the range steak, go to Ben and Jack's Steakhouse on 44th street, I am drooling writing this, my husband and I have never tasted better. Be warned, don't get a starter if you do go.

Saw "The 39 Steps" couple of weeks ago - spoof on Alfred Hitchcock films - clever and very funny. Would go again if I can get back there!

[broken link removed]