New York Hotel

Surprising the better half with a trip to NY in early Feb. Need to book a hotel and would be interested in people's choices. She's a shopaholic so must be Manhattan hotel. I like a hotel to have a swimming pool and sauna and the like. If it can be booked online mores the better.
Many thanks 16024

Thanks Diddles, that was quick. Hope I didn't give the impression that we are filty rich. Just spending some of the SSIA that will be due a few weeks later.

16024 said:
Thanks Diddles, that was quick. Hope I didn't give the impression that we are filty rich. Just spending some of the SSIA that will be due a few weeks later.

No problem,
Stayed there last Dec and going again this Jan.Just around the corner from Macys and an Irish bar around the other corner.Some of the other hotels in the area quoted crazy prices for the few days.Hope this helps

D

Best advice here is to check out www.expedia.com for a listing of hotels in Manhattan, and sort by the price you're willing to pay.

Then check for reviews on the particular hotel that takes your fancy.

Between the two of them, you can't go wrong in my opinion.

(My personal preference is the Royalton)

Hotel Wolcott www.wolcott.com is half a block away from Macys and is very good.

There are not many hotels in Manhattan offering swimming pool and sauna although if you are willing to pay upwards of a grand a night I'm sure you will find some.

Best Western President off 42nd Street (30 seconds from Times Square) through hotelclub.net — a little dated, but you couldn't ask for a better location, and was very cheap at the time (Feb this year).

If you haven't booked the flight and you're not near Dublin, check out continental.com for cheap deals from Shannon — around 210 euro return per person.

The Millenium UN Plaza is on 2nd Ave and a little distance from the shopping - but it has a pool with a great view over the Hudson River - there is also a good fitness centre (I think there may be a sauna as well)

They usually have some goods rates going on their website (just plug in millenium hotels into google) or also on hotels.com

The rooms are fine - have been recently redecorated - the lobby and bar are very 1980's but the service has always been good when I've been there

Holiday Inn midtown has a swimming pool and the crowne plaza time square has too. They would be a lot more central. Try booking on or you could always try www.hotwire.com and www.priceline .com. these are auction sites where u enter the max amount you are willing to spend per night and you pick the areas and facilities you would like too and then sit an wait

Great article in this weeks New York Times travel section on reasonably priced Manhattan hotels - it's quite long (and copyrighted) so can't post it here .. you can read it on NYtimes.com - you have to register but it's free.

The only one of the above metioned hotels I've stayed in was the Hotel Wolcott many years ago.. and it was an awful dump then I thought - may have changed since - though it was cheap and in a pretty decent location.