New York - digital cameras

kmelvin

Hi Everyone,
Has anyone ever bought a Digital Camera in NY?
I've heard it is possible to get a European Adapter and Irish Warranty
for items purchased over there.

Could someone recommend a good shop to buy a Dig Camera in NY?

Also, I'm a newbie to Digital Cameras, could someone recommend the latest make/models?

Many thanks for any help you could give.

Best Regards
Karl

The last time I checked (about a fortnight ago) the site was down for renovation and it directed you to the stores Amazon boutique so you can check out their stock there. When I was buying the cameras they were for presents so I didn't really have specific cameras in mind, so I just bought what was on special offer. The choice in the store is vast and I found the staff very helpful, and they didn't push me towards any particular brand. Hope this helps!

B & H photo video is just around the corner from Macy's, one of the cheapest and one of the best places. It is a real camera shop not an electrical retailers.

I am a bit of a camera freak and always get cameras from US. The one I have at the moment is the Canon s3is. It is a bit chunky but brilliant. It has the flip out LCD screen and you have no idea how useful it is until you own one. I checked the jr website in New York and it costs $399.99. It costs €650 here. I would highly recommend this camera.

Just back from NYC. Bought a Canon 350D Rebel* (read reviews on http://www.dpreview.com/ and did research in camera shops in Dublin) from J And R at Park Row, beside Ground Zero (Chamber Street Subway - Vesey Street Entrance). Got the camera, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens and 2GB card (no card with camera) for $818 which is good value when converted to Euro. The sales guys really knew their cameras etc. The Canon warranty is also international. Re the two prong battery charger, I only had to buy an adaptor plug (used for electric shavers) from Dixons when I got home.

Good deals on iPOD and Creative MP3 players too and great selection of accessories.

My wife was quite happy going around the corner to Century 21 while I took my time at J ans R!

P.S. *the up to date model released a couple of weeks ago is the Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi.

Many thanks for all your help guys.

Looks like JR's is the place to go - online they're cheaper than the other
options.

Thanks again.

Karl