New York City

M

mollser

Off to New York next week on business, :)

anyone any good things to do in the evenings??

I like me pub, any good recommendations?? I endeavour to steer clear of the 'Kitty O'Shea's' types though...

what other good stuff is there to do to waste away the evenings?? baseball or something??

I need ideas!

Cheers

:D

Restaurants

just back .... Ruby Foos in Time Square was excellent, "Mare" seafood restaurant in Chelsea very good, fab Italian in Brooklyn "Aunt Suzies/Susies?" - long lazy lunch there last weekend - didn't have much joy with bars ... would like recommendations for next year.

If you want to ask about shopping!!! Now I know what the term shop till you drop means - seriously!

Carmines (italian) restaurant on Broadway.

Don't know how much it cost as I was brought there by a local.

A unique dining experience - excellent food.

Yeah - just back

Went to Mortons for a steak, my god was it expensive, but I can categorically say it was the finest steak i've ever had in my life. 500g fillet, $44, sides $7 extra each! Not for the backpackers...

Bars around time square were plentiful but brutal. Very dead atmosphere in them all, if there was anyone in them at all. Most of them seem to be half restaurants - i suppose they've always been this way, but started to wonder was it the smoking ban thats influenced this??

Anyway, one great bar we hit was 'Social' - 8th av and 57th st, one block from time square. Not a trendy bar, but modern and very lively - beer garden on the roof, which is a very rare thing indeed in Manhattan (in my limited experience)

Also noticed nobody outside bars smoking - i think they've all just given up over there.

oh yeah - and they serve Smithwicks - $5 a pop - same price as here! perfect pints as well, in fact, far better pints than many of the bars in Dublin would serve (names withheld)

> Bars around time square were plentiful but brutal. Very dead atmosphere in them all, if there was anyone in them at all. Most of them seem to be half restaurants - i suppose they've always been this way, but started to wonder was it the smoking ban thats influenced this??

In my experience a lot of US bars in a lot of cities are like that. I don't think that the smoking ban has anything to do with it to be honest regardless of a certain amount of propaganda to the contrary...

is right. Bars are usually an appendage to an eatery, full of college kids being annoying (often tragic Oirish themed places), or poncy glass and chrome deals.
What's left are the pokey little grubholes for barflies which are the best of a bad deal if you can find them. I missed this post or I could have pointed you in the direction of a couple of real bars in NY.

PS. Drinking is not a social norm in the US like it is in Ireland and the UK. This is why good bars are less common than good restaurants. Nothing to do with some foolish ban.

New YORK

NY is different to any other city in US in many ways but especially in the popularity of drinking in bars. For good bars go below 14th street preferably below Houston on the East Side. Thats where the interesting people go.

Re: bars

Going over new month with herself for a few days.
Hopper, maybe you can let me know the name of a few good bars.

Thanks

Johno

Back