New York City

i had a great night in this “dive bar”, very reasonably prices drinks, and a diverse clientele:

Adding: Hotdogs are free, its an edgy bar, but i liked it

Last edited:
Thanks all for the suggestions, will hopefully get to many of them. Going in September, flying into Newark. Going to NFL & a baseball game, big sports fans!

September is a great month to go, won't be quite as busy and the weather will be nice. Newark airport train to NYC is handy but if there's a group of you a taxi is reasonable and you can get great views coming into the city.

Great suggestions from others above, so I won't rehash them.

If you like walks and a bit of nature, my favourite place in the city is Roosevelt Island. It's in the East River between Manhattan and Queens, giving nice views of both as well as the Queensboro Bridge. It has a lighthouse at one end and some parks, cafes, fruit market. A quiet little oasis, never busy, and just a few minutes on the F train.

If you want to try NYC diners and delis, my favourites are:
  • Lexington Candy Shop where they pump the syrup for your Coca Cola in front of you and mix it the old way. The chicken salad sandwich is excellent. It's a tiny place and the atmosphere is exactly what you imagine in a New York diner.
  • B&H Dairy is a proper kosher deli, delicious food you will not find in Ireland, and the nicest staff.
  • Zucker's Bagels is a good place for breakfast and they have a few locations. They do more than bagels but I recommend the everything bagel with a plain schmear.
There are lots of film/TV locations to see, like The Plaza Hotel near Central Park (Home Alone 2), the Friends apartment building, Tom's Restaurant (from Seinfeld and the Suzanne Vega song), etc.

For a little bit of art, I think the best spot is the Neue Galeri for the Klimt painting Woman in Gold (Portrait of Adele Bloch Bauer). It's stunning to see up close.

Even if you do nothing but walk around you will have a great experience.

If you find any new gems, please report back!

Ah New York what a city.

The Hotel Riu Plaza New York Times Square and DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York Times Square West were the hotels I used both times I went, the later is the cheapest we used it for the Katie Taylor fight as we were on a massive budget.

If you can fly with United Airlines you go straight into Newark, hope on the monorail to the station and then train in the Pent Station about 45 mins. If you are lucky you will get the 767 it's a lovely plane a lot of room.

Eat where the locals eat! Al's Deli https://www.alsdelinyc.com/categories.php - we got massive lunches here for dirt cheap and it kept us going all day, we had lunch here 3 times in a row, it was so good did the job!

Go to Magnolia bakery and get some cupcakes or their hummingbird cake, sweet mother of god it's good. Joes Pizza as well!

If you can get a fight in Madison Square Gardens or any type of event to do it!

The World Trade Centre in the late afternoon as the sun goes down is breath taking - same goes for the Empire State building

As mentioned by somebody else the Intrepid Museum is class! And bring the tissues for the 911 memorial, give yourself a lot of time for this, it's a bundle of emotions.

Booked with Cassidy, Flew into Newark with United, who were very good, took bus from airport to T.Square $20.

Hotel was just off 7th Avenue close to T.square. Did lots of sight-seeing, took the staten island ferry which was free. went to US Open tennis which had a great atmosphere. Took trains from Penn Station to Metlife stadium for NFL which was straight forward $11 return. Bought a 7 day subway ticket $34 which was handy for getting around.

New York lives on pizza, coffee & donuts! Food was always on the go, loads of deli's everywhere. Weather was very warm, you end up buying lots of water. Target was a good store to visit as they had everything in it. Got the train back from penn station to Newark airport train station & then hopped on air-train to airport $16 one-way ticket. Newark airport very expensive.

Amazing city with sights worth seeing nearly on every street. As cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Had breakfast in a lovely cafe called Flippers. WTC was very sombre, so many Irish surnames listed who died on 9/11. Stumbled upon a farmers market in Union Square, lower Manhattan which was pretty cool.

Would definitely go back again.

Back