New York and then where?

InfoSeeker

Heading to New York in first week in November with girlfirend for 4 days and then 10 days left to holiday; any suggestions / ideas on where to go or last 10 days?

Only booking a one way flight to New York so can fly home from somewhere else.

SSIA in October and plan to save most of it but treating myself to a good holiday, ie 2.5/3k.

Umm, one-way to the States? Think the Border Agents (Homeland Security) will have something to say about that?

By the time I am going I will have another flight out of the US, that is why I am asking for advice where to go from NYC

New York, Grand Canyon & Yellowstone in 14 days?

I'd spend a couple of extra days in NYC myself (great town, biased because I lived there for 7 years!).

I suppose it depends on what kind of holiday you want. What are you interested in doing? Cities? Beaches? The great unknown?

Las Vegas.....including Helicopter flight to Grand Canyon.....did it last year...unbelieveable!

how about a trip to niagara falls?
you could fly from jfk to buffalo with jetblue airways (v. cheap) and stay in the mariott on the canadian side (again, v.cheap compared to new york hotel prices) ... their rooms overlook the canadian falls - it's fantastic!!

Thanks for the ideas, like the one to Canada, will look into it, keep the ideas coming, tis much appreciated

Ahh. Another cunning plan!

DUB direct US gateways are (in no particular order):

LAX
ORD
BOS
JFK
EWR
PHL
ATL
MCO (charter)

HTH

My friend and I went to New York and then to Orlando about 2 hour flight was brilliant for contrasts and if you're going in November will still be quite warm. It was brilliant I'd recommend there!

NYC and Orlando are about as polar opposite as you can get! But if you are after a beach holiday to follow your NYC jaunt Florida is a good bet for sure.

Some of the roads and I think even one of the rims in the Grand Canyon can be closed during the winter. We took a car from GC/Las vegas to Yellowstone one April and loads of the roads were still closed (piled very high with snow! - tho one of my travelling companions got sunburnt in GC!!).

November should be okay for Orlando, pretty much past the hurricane season. I'm hoping to go in late October and do Boston beforehand. Unless you're v organised you do need a car in Orlando.

extopia said:
NYC and Orlando are about as polar opposite as you can get! But if you are after a beach holiday to follow your NYC jaunt Florida is a good bet for sure.
Orlando is a bit of a distance from the beach. You either go to Coco on the east or Clearwater/St Petes on the wast. There is not much there unless you have kids so if you want beach then got to one of the beach areas.
I think Florida is boring to look at and you would need a good reason to go there.

Max Hopper said:
Umm, one-way to the States? Think the Border Agents (Homeland Security) will have something to say about that?
Indeed, entry on a one way ticket with a visa wavier is not allowed.

Infoseeker, does it have to mainland USA? I am harbouring a desire to get to Cuba, only thing though, you can't get direct flights from US. If you've got 10 days and some money, it would be feasible to go somewhere like that, or Costa Rica.

Los Angeles X
ORcharD field (Chicago)
BOSton
John Fitzgerald Kennedy (New York City)
nEWaRk
PHiLadelphia
ATLanta
Municipal County Orange (Orlando)
HTH

Sheesh!

If you are going to New York for four days, being November, it will be cold.
Therefore, Boston and Washington, two places that aren't too far away will also be quite cold. Also, they are also big cities and after doing New York, ye might be in the need for a change. New England would be a great place to visit in the October as people come from all over the states to see the Trees! Supposed to be fantastic... sister was there and can vouch for that. However, by November it also will be quite cold.

Yeah, think Grand Canyon, San Fran, San Diego, Vegas, Hawaii would be all options. Apart from San Fran, all should be a lot warmer that time of year. The carribean and florida would be other options as you can fly there direct from New York.

However, if you are flying internally in the US, it would be worth your time checking out www.jetblue.com
This is the US low cost carrier. Flying internally can be expensive in the States.
Also, check out
[broken link removed]
Navigate to the right hook and then the tuesday travel page.
You can ask for back issues to some of the places you could go to.
Also, should text in and ask the guy that does the show. He is with the lonely planet and really knows the states well.