New Years Eve in New York

Paulsgirl

Hi,

My husband and I will be in New York for New Years Eve and are staying on Time Square. I'm just wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for a nice restaurant to have dinner in beforehand. And is Time Square the place to be at midnight?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Paulsgirl.

You lucky thing, I'd kill to be there. Yes the ball drops in Times Square but it's very crowded. Carmines is a very famous restaurant just off the square which is very popular with tourists . It's Italian. A lovely experience. But the city is falling down with good restaurants. Make sure to book. I think from memory you can't book Carmines but lots of places take bookings. Enjoy!

Ok thanks ali. Well I think I'd rather book so if anyone else knows of any nice restaurants, please let me know.

Yep, very lucky. My husband just booked the trip last Monday so its all very last minute trying to get organised.

Thanks. We tried Carmines but its fully booked so we booked it for New Years night instead. Ruby Foos, looks good but I don't eat meat or fish so we may give that one a miss. Am looking at the Belvedere Hotel but they only have availability for 6.30pm.

Hey there, we were due to be there this year but plans fell through. I would advise avoiding Times Square. Seriously, there are so many threads on Tripadvisor about this. Generally speaking if you want to get a good view of the ball drop you'd want to be in Times Sq before 3pm! Then the NYPD start to put everyone into the holding pens. You can leave the pen, but you won't be allowed back in. It's so bad I've seen people talking about wearing adult nappies!

What we had planned to do was go for dinner in [broken link removed] (they have a fixed menu of $69 + tax per person) for their 9.30pm sitting and then we planned to head over to the Fireworks display in Central Park which is meant to be fantastic. It's put on by the people who organise the Midnight run and there is music etc beforehand.

Anyway, this is what is on offer from restaurants, in NYC, for New Years Eve: Open Table

If you're vegetarian this place is really nice
[broken link removed]
The restaurant rather than the uptown cafe. It's actually pretty classy and not like a glorified caff as so many veggie places are. This is what I had and it was delicious

Feijoadinha with Smokey Tempeh ~ 19
A lighter version of “Feijoada,” the Brazilian national dish:
a stew of smokey roasted tempeh, black beans, chayote squash, and
sweet potatoes, in an orange-lime broth.

You can check for veggie/vegan/veggie friendly restaurants on this site worldwide
http://www.happycow.net/

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

We're staying just off Time Square, its within the area where they drop the Ball I believe but you can't see it directly from the hotel. I've heard about the pens and am definitely not that pushed to hang around there from 3pm.

I just want somewhere nice to eat beforehand and as you suggest, we may try out the Fireworks in Central Park. Seems a bit more appealing than hanging around Time Square.