New Wooden Windows

K

Koplegend

Can anyone recommend a supplier/installer of wooden windows (Dublin). I am looking at Wright Windows who seem reasonable - anyone used them before? Or Youghal Glass ?

For wooden windows there is only one choice. Danish made. Why? They do it best. The architects wont use anything else.
Try Harmon Vinduer.

With all due respect, Dollie, that's just not true. There are lots of architects out there specifying PVC windows for example.

I like the rationel product but it's not the only thing on the market and there are lots of joiners out there who will make a fine traditional sash window (for example) out of whatever timber you want.

There's a company called Kells Windows (Joinery?) that do magnificent work, say their products in a renovated house recently. Don't know how much they cost.

Extopia.
With all due respect to you.
Have you any idea of the environmental impact of uPVC?

The forum is New Wooden Windows

Also try designing a house and having a small joinery fulfill all the requirements. Sliders NO. Big units NO.

I take it that you work for Kells and you mainly sell uPVC.

I have indeed built a house and had a small joinery fulfill all the requirements. All hardwood, mostly double-hung sash windows for the most part. Wasn't in Dublin though.

I don't work for Kells and they do timber, not PVC.

(sueellen, you are indeed on top of these threads!)

We used Harmon Vinduer a few years ago, and we have been impressed by the windows (with one reservation about the manufacturer's claims regarding the window finish and its ability to withstand the staining effect of knots in the wood - I mentioned this in a little more detail a few days ago in the Wooden Windows thread). In our case, they were not the cheapest, but they were far from the most expensive either. One of the things that made us choose Harmon Vinduer was that they were willing to consider requests that other suppliers at the time (including Carlson) immediately dismissed or simply laughed in our face when we asked - this included asking for the U-value of the windows (i.e. their insulation rating), fitting a cat flap in a door or window unit, and fitting double doors which would have required widening an existing opening. I would hope that all suppliers would be more open minded these days though, and less rude at the very least - some were better than others, the worst offenders treated us like we should have been privileged that they even deigned to speak to us in the first place.

Slightly off topic, but referred to in a post above: regarding the environmental impact of wooden windows versus PVC windows, there are strong arguments on both sides. Whilst the production of uPVC seems to be widely agreed as being far from environmentally friendly, the process of felling trees, converting them to window frames, and shipping them to their ultimate destination, also has an environmental impact that needs to be considered. I say this as someone that dislikes uPVC and would never opt for it over wood, but I am conscious of the fact that my wooden windows were shipped from Denmark (from a factory that claims to have adopted environmentally friendly practices, but that is only part of the picture). If you want to hold true to your environmentally conscious principles, you should ideally look for windows made from wood from Irish-grown trees (from ethically managed forests), and fabricated by local joiners using methods which lead to the least pollution (don't process the wood using petrol powered machinery, don't treat the wood using environmentally damaging chemicals, etc.).

Sueellen
Point taken about Extopia.

Regarding "environmental impact" again.
It's interesting to see fact rather than oppinion.

"The Chartered Institute of Building Service Engineers"
have this to say about the life cycle of a window. [broken link removed]

Notably on page 10, a uPVC window has a mean estimated service life of 24.1 years compared to 39.6 years on a timber window. Coupeled with the much less "u" (heat loss) value of the timber window and the savings on heat bills the difference is considerable.

Another bone of contention that I have is companies not offering the "LowE glass with Argon Gas" as standard. Yes it adds to the price but look at the longterm benefits. If people only knew what it meant they would insist on it.

I am a true believer, do not skimp on the windows. Wooden windows last longer, look nicer and hold in the heat better.

Dollie

Back