New Widescreen TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

newseeker1

Hi
The TV packed up yesterday
Going to get a new one - thinking a wide screen - maybe 40 inches but dont know whether to get LCD. Plasma and dont know really much about HD ready and HD and all that sort of stuff

Anyone got any feedback/suggestions/recommendations or advise regardin type of TV to buy and answers to above quetions

Thanks

Absolutely make sure its HD ready , even RTE are showing some programmes in HD now.
http://www.rtenl.ie/news.asp

If you like text TV , make sure your new TV has fastext.
Make sure it has many external connections including HDMI
When I changed TV recently , i was advised that LCD is better than plasma , but I really dont know the difference

I would highly recommend 42''

avforums.com is the place to get advice on TVs - I was thinking about a new tele and got great suggestions there, and good answers to nonTV expert questions!

You have to register to ask questoins, but the forum can be found here [broken link removed]

You have to take in to consideration the size of your sitting room when buying an LCD/Plasma

Last year we bought one. We originally looked at a 32" LCD but there was a great offer on the 37" so we went for that. Having bought it I'd say that it's at the limit for the size of our sitting-room. If we had gone for a bigger screen then it wouldn't have been suited. If you buy too big a screen then you'll start to notice the pixillation (if that's the right term).

Before you buy stand away from the screen at the distance it is likely to be from your sofa.

I suggest that you should check the [broken link removed] of various brands. The expert reviews can help answer your questions.

Hope this helps.

You will have to do a bit of reading, look here its uk so tv you like may not be availabe here. LCD is good for gamers, Plasma is best for dvd, sd and hd.
look here
[broken link removed]

HD ready means tv will display a HD picture but not in correct resolution.

Full HD means tv will display picture in the correct resolution.

It is not easy to tell the difference and sone people say a hd ready can give a btter picture.

NB digital terrestial tv is almost upon us so it might be am idea to get a tv with the new dtt tuner. Look here
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

And stick with panasonic for plasma, sony for LCD.

enjoy

noah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back