New website/ idea

rondon

Hello, I am at a very very early stage of an idea here and am looking for some help on setting up a website online.
I havnt a clue where to start, ive read so many different things online regarding prices on getting an .ie or a .com address. I have checked to see if the name i would like to use is taken and so far it is not.
The site would be similar to some that are out there already but I feel this could compete with them.
Hoping someone can shine a bit of light on this for me, I dont come from an IT backround at all but just have an idea.

Thanks for looking.

The website is I hope a good idea with a good name which would be used by the general public. I know of a few sites offering the same services so id like to think this could compete with them.

You need to check out the competition first before you go down the route of investing in a site.

Your idea 'keyword(s) should be in the url (website address). A .ie will be specific to Ireland while .com will give you a wider audience. .coms are a lot cheaper than .ies

To be honest, the idea is is the start of a long process checking viability ...

Thanks for the feedback, its an idea to compete against similar websites in Ireland and abroad if possible. Its hard where to start and hard to get all the correct information online as there is so many sites offering .coms and .ie's and so many offering websites/ designs etc. Ill do some more research and if I do manage to get up and running ill be in touch ;) Thanks again.

I use to register my .coms, .orgs and my .nets and I use greengeeks for hosting my sites. keep your domain name registered seperately from your hosting in case you want to move hosting.

In terms of global attraction the order is .com, .net & .org ... i.e. get a .com first but if unavailable move on to a .net etc.

I use the WordPress platform for my sites .... it's free, easy to set up and customise.

PM your email address to me and I'll email you some pdf manuals I have re. WordPress set-up, SEO, plugins (which are like apps to enhance your WordPress based site) etc.

I'm just nearing the end of an evening course on web design, and as part of that I have a website which is almost finished. I think its worthwhile to do a course like that so you get a better understanding of all the process.

We've done coding with html5 and css (so no software packages), some work with photoshop, now I'm no pro but it should be sufficient for setting up the 1 or 2 websites I have in mind.

It's an option worth considering anyway. Could highly recommend the one run by LIT, think it cost €450 or so.

website

Thats great thank you ill send you a pm, cheers.

I use to register my .coms, .orgs and my .nets and I use greengeeks for hosting my sites. keep your domain name registered seperately from your hosting in case you want to move hosting.

In terms of global attraction the order is .com, .net & .org ... i.e. get a .com first but if unavailable move on to a .net etc.

I use the WordPress platform for my sites .... it's free, easy to set up and customise.

PM your email address to me and I'll email you some pdf manuals I have re. WordPress set-up, SEO, plugins (which are like apps to enhance your WordPress based site) etc.

website

Thanks for that, its somthing I will deffo look into as in a course, be nice even to learn the basics. Id probably have to do an evening course so ill get looking around and see whats out there, reaaly appriciate the feed back, thanks.

I'm just nearing the end of an evening course on web design, and as part of that I have a website which is almost finished. I think its worthwhile to do a course like that so you get a better understanding of all the process.

We've done coding with html5 and css (so no software packages), some work with photoshop, now I'm no pro but it should be sufficient for setting up the 1 or 2 websites I have in mind.

It's an option worth considering anyway. Could highly recommend the one run by LIT, think it cost €450 or so.

Just came across this thread and wondering if the hosting solution greengeeks.com and domain registration GoDaddy.com are still the ones to go with ? I am thinking of setting up a website with Wordpress but wondering if anyone has suggestions on Wordpress themes for making a brochure type site...( 5 or 6 pages). I have a basic understanding of WP but dont want to spend an arm and leg on a WP theme. Any suggestions as regards Web Hosting and WP themes ?
Thanks
lonelyplanet

I wonder did the OPs website get off the ground?! Maybe he named it something snappy like Pinterest....;-)

greengeeks.com and domain registration GoDaddy.com

I left Goddaddy and I moved to namecheap. I found that GoDaddy got too expensive and I didn't like their pushy marketing.

I'm still with greengeeks. I pay every three years and I find that their rates are still reasonable.

Last edited:
Start with local enterprise office. They have various courses and you will meet similar minded people doing them.

Recall doing a digital marketing course - one lady had an idea to start up a tour bus service in dublin ... with her redundancy...

an idea is nothing / without being ‘ stress tested ‘ in the real world.

here’s one course- not running now - but content shows you things you need to consider ...

if it becomes an e commerce website for an existing business, you may be entitled to a grant from your LEO

Back