New Water based Paints-Rubbish?

MRCB, on Thomas Street, stock ColorTrend, or at least they still did when I was last in there a few months ago.

Also, a few years ago, there was a little paints shop on the Dundrum Road (city side of Dundrum, beside the pedestrian traffic lights just before you pass the garage and Dundrum Kitchen Centre on your right) that seemed to stock a lot of their stuff.

You can find the nationwide stockists on link.

ASAIK paint can peel if you have previously used proper kitchen/bathroom paint on the wall. A friend of mine had problems when she redecorated and I know it was to do with the paint that had previously been on the wall.

The covering of a paint does not depend on the chemical composition of it's solvent -organic or inorganic- but on it's content and "flux" of pigments. Any painter can explain this. Dulux has a good water based paint sold on trays with a high pigment content. The pigments are usually the more expensive part of the mixture.So they have cheated by diluting.
The old Irish cottages had been "white washed" with water based - well,ahem -paint.This forgotten technic is effective, saving a lot of money esp. in areas where there is no need for a weather proof coverage.Unless one wants to repeat it every year or two.
Check B&Q for their emulsions and buy some pigments of the desired colour to add.
Or,if going for the upper price class check Auro or Biofa, they do excellent covering water based paints. The Germans have a colour testing regime , to which every paint sold in Germany-beeing for professional or private use makes no difference- has to adhere to. Dulux has bought some well selling brand names there to get into the market, competing the existent market with their own brands would have propably been to difficult (expensive).
Professionals have to wear gas masks with carbon filters if working with organic solvant based paints under certain circumstances. For example in winter in closed rooms. This would make most paints based on organic solvents useless for about half the year.Thanks to our H+S inspectors work this is still not adhered to here. On the continent professionals use water based paints since they have the H+S laws.To be competitive.
So nothing to be afraid of, just buy proofen quality.

I have used Auro paints to great effect. They were more expensive but I found their coverage to be better than standard emulsion paints (pre water based ones too)

I have used Colourtrend which is 100% acrylic. The shop really sold me on the coverage but it has worked out very expensive, I think - €1000 for a 2000 sq.ft house? I feel "done" to be honest - what recourse do I have?

Geegee said:
I have used Colourtrend which is 100% acrylic. The shop really sold me on the coverage but it has worked out very expensive, I think - €1000 for a 2000 sq.ft house? I feel "done" to be honest - what recourse do I have?

Did this include all paint for walls and woodwork, including primers, undercoats, gloss/ satin and emulsions? If so I guess this is costing you about €70 per room, this looks like good value to me, if you like the quality of the paint and how it went on.

This was for the walls and ceilings only not including any woodwork.

OK, still sounds okay. I would expect to use 6-10 litres of emulsion per room, depending on size, porosity, coverage,no. of coats etc. That would equate to about €55- 95 per room, using standard Dulux or Crown emulsions and applying 3 coats by roller. If you feel "done" why not compare the coverage of the paint you used against that given by
Dulux/ others and a simple arithmetic exercise will tell you which is better value per sq. m. However, if you're happy with the final product why bother?

Just a little update on the solvent based vs. water based paint debate:
I spent the weekend painting at home. I used a conventional oil based Dulux Satinwood on the wood work and was very pleased with the result. Water based Satinwood is crap! The oil based product gave excellent coverage, has great hiding power and goes on well and wins hands down. I'm going to try some of that Colortrend paint on my next painting project.