New VW Golf GT 1.4 TSI 170bhp

SpatenMan

Anyone care to offer an opinion on the new twin engine VW has developed. It offers better efficiency and a heck of a lot of power for a 1.4 l engine. Reviews I have seen have beengood.
Is it crazy to go for something so new? Cheers

Hello ,

Its not a twin engine car but it is "blown" by two methods of charging.....below 3000 rpm a supercharger provides the boost while after 3000 rpm a turbo takes over the job.....vw have been known to produce bulletproof charged cars (the supercharged 1.3 polo gt of the early 90's) and the later golf......

As a 1.4 i wouldnt worry about reliabilty as the engines are solid and the pistons have longer sleeves to disharge the extra heat generated....ive read great reviews in top gear,evo and car magazines and all is good......one thing is for sure the depreciation on it will be low...Buy today for 31k and in a years time youll easily get 28-29k back !

Cheers Parker. Just one thing on servicing..is this likely to be more expensive than a bog standard 1.4l engine?

Hi ,

The service internals will be shorter than the standard 1.4 , im not sure what these are but the service will cost more as the engine will be using a a higher synthetic oil because of the chargers , thus the plugs are probably a t- spark or a split plug to offer more bang so there will be more expense here....other than the consumables which will be a higher grade because of the engine spec id say your only looking at an extra 100 quid on top of the normal service price (mainly down to the synthetic oil)....expensive

Parker said:
....one thing is for sure the depreciation on it will be low...Buy today for 31k and in a years time youll easily get 28-29k back !

I doubt it.

Is it true revenue will be pricing the annual tax for this car in a higher bracket due to the higher power level? (in the same way they do for the wankel rotary engines)

Hi Rs2k ,

Why doubt it , according to carzone.ie all the 2005 performance models with average 8k on the clock are selling at a loss of 2-3 k..........2006 2.0 gti 37000 , 2005 2.0 gti ..34000......so theres no reason to believe that the 1.4 will be popular and should hold its depreciation to under 3 grand in 1 year......

Parker said:
Hi Rs2k ,

Why doubt it , according to carzone.ie all the 2005 performance models with average 8k on the clock are selling at a loss of 2-3 k..........2006 2.0 gti 37000 , 2005 2.0 gti ..34000......so theres no reason to believe that the 1.4 will be popular and should hold its depreciation to under 3 grand in 1 year......

I know what you are saying but being advertised at, and selling at, are far from the same thing.

VW's are always overpriced imho. They are seen as a premium brand when in reality they are litttle if any better than their peers. Parkers, Honest John, and most importantly J.D. Power's views are wholly relevant here.

No offence intended.

Rs2k ,

No offence taken , sorry if post seemed defensive , again it is time and market tested and agree that the marketed value and sales figures are different to what a customer will hand over....and they are overpriced....and there getting heavier and heavier every year......a well looked after mk 2 gti 1.8 would give the recent ones a fright on the track....tested on top gear!!!!

I've driven the latest GTI and it's an excellent car. It's very pricey however.
€40k + with a decent spec.

I've actually bought it's main rival funnily enough, and it's a little quicker again, and much better value, although it's admittedly more expensive to run.

Back