New vehicle ordered ~ why so long?

PaddyBloggit

I enquired about buying a 192 in May - I was told I was too early and to come back at the start of June. I came back at the start of June - no prices sorted yet etc.

I went back in the middle of June - placed order, paid deposit etc. but vehicle won't be available until the 10th of September.

Just wondering - why does it take so long now? I am getting a bog standard vehicle. (A friend of mine ordered a 181 in October 2017 but didn't get it until April 2018 - again a bog standard order).

I've ordered a Ford. They ordered a Peugeot. Both from (different) main dealers.

Not a word. The computer tells him the delivery date. I haven't bought new in years but it's like everything else; the seller makes it look as if they are doing you a favour.

Seems to be more and more common now. I've read of similar delays with Volkswagen Polos, as left hand drive markets are supplied from the factory in South Africa. Ireland as a small part of that overall market may suffer more than others if demand is higher than capacity.

How many garages did you try, bound to be a test driven one in a dealership.

I tried two. I was actually looking at buying second hand at first but decided to bite the bullet and buy new with a view to driving it into the ground. When I looked at them, the specs had changed for the new 192 - EU regulations apparently - has to come with A/C as standard now, has to have increased power and has to have the speed control as standard.

A lot of the garages are trying to pull a fast one with their 192 deals - they are trying to offload the old model on the unsuspecting motorist. I nearly got caught myself until I noticed that the dash as shown online didn't match what I was shown in the showroom.

Waiting until September is no big deal. I was just wondering why it now took so long for cars to come in.

It's usually fairly cosmetic with these facelifts, might get a very good deal on the garage one.

As I'm planning to hold onto the new vehicle for as long as possible I wanted to get the latest model if I was buying new. There are cosmetic changes but also engine changes.

Back