New Van on HP but

bigpaddy_irl

Around August/September last year I bought a brand new van using GE money through my business. When in the garage my constant question to the sales man and the credit control girl was will I get a monthly vat invoice for all the payments going out via GE money. They kept telling me yes or course you will so you can claim back your vat. but I only noticed lately that I was not getting nothing in the post. So I rang them up and now they deny they said anything, just to get a sale I bet.
Now im left in a predicament where I have not being able to claim any vat back on the van and I need to change it for a new one next year.
What can I do to get a monthly vat invoice for the van or is it possible when buying through HP?

Check you orginal contract:

1. If it is a hire purchase- You can claim all vat back when you purchased the vat day one.(the whole amount)

2. If lease- Claim back vat in line with payments.

3. if bank loan claim vat day one.(whole amount)

If it was hp the garage would have given you an invoice on day of purchase- If not ring and ask for a copy.

Last edited:
It was a Ge Money business loan. We are buying the van outover 60 months. But the garage said we can not claim the vat back as we have not paid for it in full as of yet. The way the Garage said it to me at the start was that I would be issued with monthly invoices as each payment comes out of the bank account.
But looking at this now, I suppose its not really the garages business to issue the statements as Im sure they would have recieved their money in full from GE money for the van and they are not the ones who gave us the loan..and its not GE moneys business to issue vat invoices as they are just a financial company.

Will we just have to wait for the van to be paid for in full?

if you are a reg. co. you can claim the vat back all at once or of your monthly payments, as its a business loan i take it this is the case. contact you accountant and he will advise you what to do.

if you are a reg. co. you can claim the vat back all at once or of your monthly payments, as its a business loan i take it this is the case. contact you accountant and he will advise you what to do.

Ha...I did contact him and he did'nt know what to do. But he is generally a good accountant, its actually a big firm! How could I claim the vat back if no one is giving me monthly vat invoices?

If it is a business loan you are entitled to claim all the vat from date of contract/purchase.

Ring garage for a copy of orginal sale invoice-them recliam the vat.

If it is a business loan you are entitled to claim all the vat from date of contract/purchase.

Ring garage for a copy of orginal sale invoice-them recliam the vat.

I have a copy of the original sales invoice, which I assume i must give to my accountant, but whom makes up the monthly invoices in order to claim back the vat?

I have a copy of the original sales invoice, which I assume i must give to my accountant, but whom makes up the monthly invoices in order to claim back the vat?

Their will be no monthly invoice. The sales invoice you got from garage can be claimed in one vat return.(claim the whole amount in the one go).

Give the invoice to your accountant- If he can not claim it or explain why you can not claim it in the one vat 3- He should not be your accountant.

I will bring this up with them on Monday again. so are you saying to me that I can claim back all the vat on this van, even before I have it fully paid for?