New toilet problem

CharlieC

Had a new toilet installed. Problem is that the toilet sometimes won't flush and I have to take off cistern cover and move the 'thingy' manual to get the cistern to fill up.
Then I cant stop the cistern from filling.
Toilet installed 5 days ago-
Has it been installed incorrectly or is it a faulty toilet?

Thanks
Charliec

No way to know for sure but your plumber should have noticed this - put it down to a faulty plumber

The valve might just need a simple adjustment but I'd get the plumber to do it to be on the safe side (especially if it's an upstairs toilet, where leaks can be expensive).

The ball float is probably catching on the side of the cistern or there may be some debris in the valve, easily rectified -if you know what you're doing and have the confidence to approach it. Otherwise call back your plumber.

Thanks to you both. Will need to call him back.

Actually there is no ball- it is a newer toilet and has a different type of filling emptying

Last edited:
Thanks to you both. Will need to call him back.

Actually there is no ball- it is a newer toilet and has a different type of filling emptying

I'll bet it's one of those silent valves, perhaps a Cisternmaster or similar- cube shaped float rises vertically around a central pipe? If so the valve just needs some adjustment as these valves don't fit every cistern.

Thanks to all, problem fixed.
There was a square float on the left of the cistern that as Carpenter surmised was catching the wall of the cistern

Thanks again