New to the Rental Market and Need Advice

Jack Mackey

Hi. I am not sure if this is the right forum/thread but here goes anyway. I am early 50s and about to embark on renting an apartment/house in Dublin following a decision by my wife and I to separate. I will move out of the family home and, hopefully, find something relatively close to the family home where my wife and daughter will reside for at least another 5 years until the mortgage is paid off. I am fortunate to own my own business and earn a decent salary but I have never rented a property before and I have owned my own business for the last 17 years. So, when I rent a property from a landlord, what kind of documentation am I expected to furnish? I can't give references from previous landlords as there are none - I have owned my own home(s) since my 20s and never rented before. In terms of other references from other people - we have yet to tell anyone about the separation, so I an reluctant to seek out references from colleagues/clients in the industry until the separation becomes "official" in mid-Summer and we tell my daughter about what is happening. But before then I want to have everything lined up - including the rented house/apartment. As I am the MD of the company, I can't give myself a reference but I can furnish bank statements/salary slips if needed. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

Approach a letting agency and ask them what you would require. They will tell you all you will need and they get paid by the LL so should be free from your point of view. Probably go to an office near to you. Of course you will need to at least pretend you will use them and to be honest it would be no harm anyway (No - I'm not in the industry).

I am sorry to hear about the breakdown of your marriage. You are in many ways a dream tenant for someone; whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

Back