Health Insurance New to Health Insurance recommendations

frentlygamer

Hi there, hoping to get some advice about insurance options.

My wife and I just moved to Cork from the US. I'm an Irish citizen but she is just a resident here. We are both 29 and in good health other than my wife requires glasses, takes allergy medicine and a couple of other prescriptions. Ideally we could have 2 times a year dental screenings as well but it doesnt appear thats something thats commonly included in plans. Ive looked at some of the options on the HIA but am a bit lost to be honest.

From my relatively limited understanding I've come up with:
Laya Precision 600 Create at 156.04/month for the both of us
Laya Control 600 Total at 172.45/month
VHI OnePlan 250 at at 150/month

Am I barking up the right tree here? I really appreciate the help in figuring this out!

Hi frentlygamer,

Welcome to AAM.
The following 4 plans cover all public and private hospitals, so thats a good starting point.
Also they each have a capped private hospital excess, this means there is a max excess per year for all admissions to all private hospitals.
For example, Benefit plan 200 x2 , One Plan 250 capped at 250 x 2, Signify 250 x 2 and One Plan 500 capped at 2 x 500.
Day case excess are 150 or 125 per procedure only in private hospitals.
There is no excess payment in any public hospital. but the waiting lists for surgery are long.
There is very limited day to day cover for gp, dental etc so if required, you could add on a seperate day to day policy.

Plan details in the following link;
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MSwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzEyOTksMTI5MiwxMzM3LDE2NjJdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

If a day to day medical expenses add-on policy is required, even just for your wife, details as follows;
Note, prescriptions are NOT covered, refunds are approx 50% of the gp costs, etc. It may not be cost effective overall. Laya don't have one.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/#/plan-comparison?plansAndProfiles=W3siaWQiOjEsImFnZSI6MjYsIm1pbk1heFByaWNlIjpbMCw2NTAwXSwibWluTWF4RXhjZXNzIjpbMCw2MDBdLCJwbGFuVHlwZSI6MiwicGxhbnNTZWxlY3RlZCI6WzM0NCw2NjJdLCJwbGFucyI6eyJkYXRhIjpbXSwibG9hZGluZyI6dHJ1ZX0sInBsYW5zU2VsZWN0ZWREYXRhIjpbXSwiYXBwbGljYXRpb24iOnsidG9nZ2xlX3Njcm9sbExvY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

The following plans also include day to day cover. If just for comparison purposes, both pricewise and coverwise. They include cover for the
3 hi-tech hospitals all located in Dublin, which would not suit your location. Mater Private Cork is covered on the above 4 options.
Plan details as follows;
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...wbGljYXRpb24iOnsicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

You don't have to choose the same plan, you can choose according to your needs or to make savings and
you can both be with different health providers if it suits.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Snowyb

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your detailed reply and information Snowyb.

It's good to know that my wife and I can be on different plans at different companies! I would have assumed being on the same company at least would have been required.

I think we are going to go with the Precision 600 Create from Laya for my wife then for the Vision/Dental help and Ill get the One Plan 500 from VHI.

Really appreciate the assistance!

Back