New to Degiro; what Vanguard fund do I choose?

MelF

Want to start investing in a Vanguard ETF thingamajig but there seems to be about 10 different options listed in Degiro when I search and I can't make head nor tail of what's what. Could anyone recommend a Quick and Easy Guide to Vanguard funds for Complete Idiots?

Thanks for that. I'm not overly concerned on the tax side as I'm carrying a large Capital Loss Allowance I can use to offset. I just need to figure out which is the accumulating fund vs the distributing one.

Carried forward capital losses cannot be offset against gains on an ETF that is subject to exit tax.
Seriously? Holy hell, why ever not, I wonder. Is this the case for *all* ETFs - incl Irish-domiciled? Blast it anyway, had hoped this was a set n' forget way of investing in the stock market, but obviously not...

Welcome to Ireland - the land where financial interests rule the roost and the individual investor is just a turkey, sitting quietly waiting to be plucked

MInd you, this is not limited to Ireland

MeIF, looks like you're gonna have to make your appointment with an INDEPENDENT FINANCIAL ADVISER to get any feedback from these people here

Cantor Fitz will give you a consultation - that is a once-over of your current situation plus a recommended plan or options for you to decide with no obligation to go ahead - for free. If you do proceed with the Cantor Fitz plan, it will be discharged through Cantor's own brokers and fees applied accordingly - so be sure to get breakdowns on fees.

That said, Cantor are traders and fund managers: they are not cushy sofa + mug of tea elaborate explainers of pros and cons. Explanations are important to many people, especially the self-employed who like to feel in control. So you might actually do better going to a good IFA in the first place. But please don't ask me to pick out one of them for you

Don't invest money if you don't know what you are doing. You will lose money or make massive mistakes. I didn't find DeGiro the most user friendly myself. There are tens of thousands of ETFs.

Steven
http://www.bluewaterfp.ie (www.bluewaterfp.ie)

Don't invest money if you don't know what you are doing. You will lose money or make massive mistakes. I didn't find DeGiro the most user friendly myself. There are tens of thousands of ETFs.

Steven
You're right yes, I haven't a notion. But I'm sitting on way too much cash at the moment and am keenly aware it's doing nothing for me, yet my work is such that I need the psychological cushion. And with governments printing money like it's going out of style - feel I really need to do something.... :|

We all have to start somewhere.

Use something like the site justetf to look at all the options and narrow down your selection.
Personally I look at Irish domicile, euro currency ones with physical replication and the lowest expense ratio. I also pick one that accumulate the dividends rather than distribute as it’s one less tax issue to worry about each year.
you will find loads that are similar vtsax and other vanguard funds. If you google IE00B5BMR087 one fund will pop up that’s basically the same as one of the vanguard ones - this is not a recommendation but will at least give you a starting point for your searches.

I tried to add links but the site won’t let me

If you were trying to a leak at home and were going to do it yourself, you'd look up YouTube, read about what you need, do your research and then go about fixing it. You wouldn't just go at it with no idea about where to start or what to do. Or you hire someone who knows what they are doing.

It's the exact same with investing. If you are interested in learning how invest, do your research first before you start. Or hire someone to do it for you.

Steven

Thanks! Used to work in retail banking and witnessed a lot of shenanigans re financial 'advice' been given to customers, which I suppose is why I'm naturally suspicious of anything on that side. And the recent Davy fiasco sadly supports that view.

Oh I hear you but I've done the research and know what I want to do; put (but not lock away) X amount in a non-volatile fund for X amount of time. It's the mechanics of it that's tripping me up really! (and the tax thing obvs)

Thanks! Used to work in retail banking and witnessed a lot of shenanigans re financial 'advice' been given to customers, which I suppose is why I'm naturally suspicious of anything on that side. And the recent Davy fiasco sadly supports that view.

The mere fact that you are on AAM shows you recognise that you need good independent advice.
Most of the main respondents here are independent advisers but they don't have the time, personal information on your situation or financial incentive on this forum to deal comprehensively with your case. Self-taught investors here will do no more.

Maybe you should start reading on the basics of investment if you fear lack of independence in financial advisers.

I've done a good bit of that and not in the least trying to cast aspersions on anyone to be fair. I merely wanted a bitta direction on how to find the accumulating Vanguard fund on the Degiro platform.

So like Connie Hilton in Mad Men, you want the financial Don Drapers here to give you one for free ?

Try Degiro tech support, if they have any. Otherwise a Degiro users' forum, if they have any.

Last edited:
But I'm sitting on way too much cash at the moment and am keenly aware it's doing nothing for me, yet my work is such that I need the psychological cushion.

Do you have a mortgage? What rate are you paying? Would it be worthwhile overpaying on that?

Do you have a mortgage? What rate are you paying? Would it be worthwhile overpaying on that?
I do but it's v small and tracker ECB + .5. In my line of work (freelancer) it's nigh on impossible to get borrowings so I'm reluctant...