New Sky box affecting broadband....

Giggsey

My Sky Plus box packed up last week...(had been running fine for 2 years). Called sky and had guy come to house (100 euro call out charge...thanks very much) - and got a new sky plus box.

But as a side effect my wireline broadband(perilico) would not work anymore!. took me a while to figure out what was wrong. but once I unplugged phone line from new skyPlus box it worked fine again.

So obviously by phone line cannot take extra load (was fine with old Sky box) - anyone else seen this issue?
can I leave skyplus phone plugged out permanently? No probs so far?
Do I need eircom to fix line quality - Or is the problem with the sky box?

Was there a DSL filter connected to the line feeding the Sky box?

As byte said its going to be the filters... you need one on every device, like a sky box, phone , fax...etc....

Some devices cause more problems than others, also depends on your line , so thats why you didn't have problems on the old box...

I have no DSL filter....so I'll lookinto that.

But If I leave sky phone line plugged out (like it has been for past week) are sky going to come knocking on door. I heard that they require it in at all times to ensure you don't sell your box....but nothing has happened yet.

I have no DSL filter....so I'll lookinto that.

But If I leave sky phone line plugged out (like it has been for past week) are sky going to come knocking on door. I heard that they require it in at all times to ensure you don't sell your box....but nothing has happened yet.

If you have multi-room they will care, they are not as fussy on single connections...

Thanks for info jhegarty - only one connection so will leave as is for time being....

Possibly dumb question but - why?

As said above, it's to stop you selling/renting/gifting a box with subscription card, to a friend/neighbour/relative, which you're getting at a reduced rate.

My in-laws to be got several stroppy letters from Sky when one of their other daughters moved a multi-room box into a bedroom with no phone socket. Basically, connect the box now or we'll debit you for the full rate and/or disconnect all your boxes.

Possibly dumb question but - why?

One card can watch one tv, with multi room I can have two cards at a large discount and give you the other one... we split the fee and it works out far cheaper....

but with the phones lines they can check its in the same house , which is part of the contract... with a single sub they don't care where it is...

Back