New site for children's hospital...

thedaras

If anyone is interested in the above .
www.thenewchidrenshospital.ie is a website I came across which wants to change the site for the new children's hospital.

I am not affiliated with it ,in any shape or form,just interested from a parent point of view..

Where's the new hospital going to be located and where does this group want to relocate it to?

Where's the new hospital going to be located and where does this group want to relocate it to?

Going to the Mater but I think they want it relocated to Crumlin (open to correction).

I believe that Mater plan has been scraped on the QT, now that Bertie is not in control. Many people believe that the current building works is the children's hospital! It is just an extension to the adult hospital. Anyway AFAIK the location is up in the air again and on hold due to the state of the nation.

I have been told there is also some sort of connection with the private childrens hospital in Sandyford going ahead...

So, isnt the big issue whether or not this hospital will ever be built rather than its location?

Personally, I believe it should be located in the most central location - Crumlin is difficult to get to from most parts of the city and isnt near any of the main public transport hubs.

Was it originally a choice between a site on the m50 I think near the red cow roundabout and the one at the mater?

Though like other posters, I would think the possibility of it going ahead at all is slim.

To be honest I don't enough about the various arguments for and against the various locations but is always amazes me the level of opposition that the HSE faces when trying to implement a new strategy. It was the same with the National Cancer Strategy and centres of excellence.

Tallaght is the best location; Plenty of space, just off M50, and on the LUAS. It isn't just the Dublin Childrens Hospital, it's the National Childrens Hospital so access from around the country should be a factor and getting from the M50 to Crumlin can take ages and for parents and families visiting children who don't know the area it can add stress to an already stressful situation.

Was it originally a choice between a site on the m50 I think near the red cow roundabout and the one at the mater?

I thought they had the option of a site at Newlands cross , which is approx 1 mile from the existing children's hospital in Tallaght.

Yes, I think that was it,though the traffic at the "mad " cow roundabout can be a nightmare,,

Agree with csirl that it should be in a fairly central location with access to as many public transport options as possible.

Agree with csirl that it should be in a fairly central location with access to as many public transport options as possible.

The argument against that and it is a fair one is that the vast majority of people will not travel with a sick child to the childrens hospital on public transport

Wasn't one of the criteria it should be close to an existing hospital and thats why the Mater was chosen?

Well I would assume that a good portion of the people going to the childrens hospital would be parents with children just keeping regular check up appointments in which case I don't see the problem with travelling on public transport. I just think it would be preferable to have public transport as an option for people coming from outside of dublin to use the train/bus and then connect to luas/dublin bus route.

Yeah, I think they wanted to leverage the expertise in an Adult hospital.

And of most importance was its location in Dublin Central.

There is no space to build in the Mater site, without ending up with multi story building full of children you could not evacuate in an emergency.
If they knocked the Joy there would be space, but that does not seem to be happening anymore. No builders around to buy the site!

Another site is the Dundrum Central Mental hospital, close to the M50, 2 min walk from Luas and numerous bus routes already stopping at it's door. It also has 14 acres of free space which could be used, while keeping the existing mental hospital there!

Tallaght would be my choice. Very accessible from the M50 and also means no trips into crazy traffic land which is inside the M50 on the city side.

There's plenty of NAMA controlled space along the north quays that is served by the Luas and is close to Connolly Station and Busaras and the Port Tunnel (to M1/M50). There is also a lot of accommodation in the area for parents from outside Dublin who need to stay overnight.

The need to be close to public transport isnt solely for parents/patients. Any large hospital will have a workforce of 1,000s who will need to get to work each day.

Locating it close to the M50 has its merits, but I think the Red Cow site is a bit too isolated from facilities. Imagine if you werent from west Dublin and had a sick child in the hospital for days/weeks - there is absolutely nothing within easy walking distance of this location except a mess of flyovers, motorways & warehouses.

Maybe it's intentional not to have it near public transport so they can make money on the car parking. I always thought it was bad form that parents had to pay car parking charges when they are visiting their child in hospital.