New Self Build - connecting to Eircom help?

PurpleHat

Hi

We have nearly finished a self build (esb connected etc) Clare area. We were hoping to lay the pipes needed bring the eircom line up the house - but not actually connect yet.

Trouble is we have to cut the main road to get to the eircom line. So my question is should I contact eircom saying we want to do this, but don't actually want to connect yet? If so does how do I contact them. I have searched the website and not coming up with 'who to call' in the above scenario.

I know as we are under Clare coco we need to get a road opening licence. But do we need eircom involved in this or can we just open the road, lay down whatever Pipe is needed is needed and re tar over it and leave it at that for the time being until we actually ready to connect to the eircom network?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Purplehat

Do you have to bury the cable under the road?? Why not put a hole on your side of the road and let the wire go overhead - You can then put the wire underground from the pole to the house...

Otherwise why not lay the pipe underground from the house to the verge of the road and stop there. The road can be cut when you want to connect.

You could try their Housing Estate Unit. I'm not sure it's the right section but I'd say they would point you in the right direction if it's not them. Their number is 1850 438438.

You really need get in touch with eircom to sort this out. They decide where the lines go and how to get them there They will bring the line to your site and as far as I know anything neeed outside of your land is their responsibility and is covered bythe connection fee (unless things have changed since we did it).
But... be prepared for a possible long wait.

just a suggestion but how about getting someone who does water mains that has an underground borer to bore under the road and run the pipe through.i'm not near your area so i dont know anyone but it could save you the hassle with the council and the liability of cutting the road etc.

Contact Eircom. It is not your job to decide if the line goes under the road or above the road. Chances are, they will place a pole on your side and run the line to there. You are then responsible for getting the line to your house from the pole via underground duct. Remember to bed the duct in a bit of sand and put a strong rope through it to assist pulling the line through later. Avoid sharp bends in the duct.

Apply now. I had to wait 10 months after application to get connected

I was waiting less than 3 weeks (6 months ago)- goes to show how lucky I was I suppose!

I can confirm what most of the above posters have written, We got our new build connected to the network last year.

Our builder ran underground ducting, with a metal wire inside it, from the house to the site boundary. The main phone line is across the road from our house and Eircom erected a pole adjacent to the opening of the ducting to take the phone line across the road.

They ran the line down the pole and into the ducting using the metal wire to pull it through the ducting up to the house. So have the ducting in place and Eircom will take care of the rest. They connection fee was about €125 if I remember correctly.