New screw in Light bulbs

trojan

Would some kind person explain to me what is happening re bulbs. I recently bought some bulbs and they were all the screw in types which I gather is what is used for the future. What is going to happen to all the existing press in type fittings. Will they all have to be replaced so that the new screw ones can be used. Thanks in advance.

Just watch what you are buying. Our "normal" bulbs are B22 "bayonet" types, fixtures for them are still being fitted to new builds. Screw the screw-in types.

I tried to change the bulb in a lamp last night and realised that the bayonet bulbs I had bought (having learned the hard way that not all bulbs are bayonet) come in at least 2 sizes. The new one I tried was far too narrow for the fitting.

There are now 3 or 4 "standard" bulb fittings ES (E27), SES ( E14), BC (E22), so its a nightmare finding the right ones in some shops, but there are so many bayonet fittings in existence that the bulbs will be sold for a long time.
Watch out for IKEA, though, They seem to do mostly big screw in fittings (ES) and small screw in fittings (SES).

I tried to change the bulb in a lamp last night and realised that the bayonet bulbs I had bought (having learned the hard way that not all bulbs are bayonet) come in at least 2 sizes. The new one I tried was far too narrow for the fitting.
Been there, done that! Anyone want to buy screw in bulbs? I must check out adaptors!

I got some lovely Led bulbs with both screw in and bayonet fittings, in Dealz.
Very cheap and they had different size screw in bulbs.
Got one bulb which can change colour that has a remote control.

Well the first time s bulb blows just take the old one with you to the shop so you get like for like.

Back