New restrictions for learner drivers

• Thread starter pixiebean22
  • Start date
I think if something like having mandatory driver simulation rather than driving lessons, it would be much more beneficial. That way they would experience the effect of real life accidents such as knocking down pedestrians, drunk driving and so on to get an experience of the impact of this. I think there was a company in Galway (sim2learn.ie) that were offering this but their website seems to be down - does anyone know if this company are still going? I heard on the radio last night of a similar thing that truck drivers have to go through where they simulate a common accident that occurred with trucks making a right turn and the blind spot and apparently it has hugely reduced the number of these accidents in the country trialling this (can't remember which country but was somewhere in Europe)

I don't see why any measures have to be restricted to younger drivers

They're not restricted to younger drivers, just to all new drivers, whatever their age.

OK!

I don't see why any measures have to be restricted to new drivers

um, because it's for those learning to drive.
Unless you want to have everyone re-sit their test, you mean ?

Having speed-recording devices and tracking devices fitted to vehicles shouldn't be restricted to new drivers.

As regards re-sitting the test, it's certainly an option which should be looked at.

Also, why should a new driver get 4 points for breaking a red light, speeding, or using a mobile phone while driving while an established driver only gets 2. Everybody should get 4 points regardless. I see drivers speeding, breaking red lights, or using mobiles every day and they are not all learners or newly qualified.

TBH, I'm in favour of the new rules.
I think it has to start somewhere and by making it harder for drivers to pass the test, then at least the new (and mainly younger) drivers will be that bit more capable of at least knowing how to drive safely.
Whether they choose to or not is something else entirely and is more to blame for the recent high-profile accidents than lack of driving competence.
Higher points for recently passed drivers is common practise in many countries. It tempers behavious in drivers and makes them extra-cautious and as a result, safer.
A good driver doing high speed in an overloaded car would probably crash too...so it's a lack of cop-on that is to blame at times. However, as a result of experience, a driver is less likely to make silly mistakes or pull risky manoevers.
The whole big-brother speed limiters/governers, GPS tracking of speeds/manoevers is a hop skip and a jump way too far in my opinion. We may as well replace the roads with rails and just have trains running everywhere.
Responsibility has to lie with the drivers.
Crying to the govt that 'something needs to be done' is fine and well in the training and limits put on peoples behaviour by laws but if the day comes that I can't hit 121kph without an automatic fine being issued by the state supercomputer, I'll be on the next boat outta here.

So basically what you're saying is that it's OK for you to break the speed limit but not for new drivers.

No, not at all. But there has to be a common-sense approach shown.
Speed-limiters/governers will inevitably cause crashes as people will try ot make a manoever and suddenly have the engine power cut.
I think that after a few years of driving experience, a lot of people will understand where/when/how to drive/overtake etc.
The proposed changes are to make the new drivers think twice before they make a rash manoever, due to lack of experience.

I am also completely in favour of these new requirements for learner drivers. I learned to drive and passed my test in the UK - it would be practically unheard of there for anyone to take a driving test without a course of lessons with a recognised driving school - and certainly no option of getting back into a car and driving around immediately after having failed a test.

I took at least 40 driving lessons until I passed my test on 3rd attempt, but to me it was money well spent. I now have 25 years of accident-free driving (touch wood) and still remember the lessons I was thought whilst learning to drive thanks to having proffessional driving instruction.

When I returned to live in Ireland, I was horrified at the level of driving here, the chancers, the boy/girl racers and the lack of respect for road users in general.

I learned to drive and passed my test in the UK - it would be practically unheard of there for anyone to take a driving test without a course of lessons with a recognised driving school

That's rubbish. Loads of my friends got lesson from their Dad/Uncle/Mum etc and passed (not always first time I'll grant you).

I absolutely disagree with imposing a requirement for paid for lessons on learner drivers. It's no different from passing legislation saying cars have to be pre-NCT checked with a registered garage before the NCT test.

The driving test is the test... If you are properly prepared, you are properly prepared for it, whatever way you achieved it.

I agree with the spirit of what they've done here but as with so many other things the follow through misses the mark.

What should have been done is a redesign of the test. Make it more difficult, add extra elements to it, extend the written test to cover more aspects of driving, road craft and things like drink driving, mechanics etc.

I agree with Rois that the general standard of driving in this country is shocking (I continually see a complete lack of competence, awareness, courtesy or intelligence in drivers of all ages, but that's a conversation for another day) and something should be done to bring up the standard of new drivers.... and probably existing road users as well.

Agree with DB74, these should be imposed on everyone or noone. There is no concrete evidence that every single accident in this country is caused by "young, inexperienced" drivers.

If it is now a requirement for drivers learning to drive to have these paid for extra special lessons then everyone should have to undergo the same training to make everyone on the road equal. I think everyone in this country should have to resit their tests after a certain number of years.

Back