New pvc window - water remaining on outside after heavy rain

cbruen1

I got new pvc windows installed in my house about 3 weeks ago which overall I'm happy with. The downstairs window is a bay window approx 9 ft wide by 4 ft high. I don't know if I should be worried about this but after a heavy shower the raindrops stay all along the bottom of the outside pane of glass for hours after the rest of the windows have dried off. I've washed the windows with windowlene just in case it was grease or some other residue but it still happens. It only happpens on the large pane in the downstairs window.

I want to know if this is a problem or something I should be worried about before I go back to the company and tell them about it.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Thanks a lot.

Ciaran.

Last edited:
Strange one Ciaran. If it was between the sheets of glass it would most likely be the seal but the fact that its on the outside of the window is very odd :confused: Would it be worth your while to give the supplier a call and see what their explanation is?

Not a glazier but my Guess would be that the area of the glass where the beads are accumulating is of a higher surface roughness than where no beading occurs, this increased surface roughness, causes greater forces of attraction at the interface between the glass & the water, so the water stops there instead of rolling down to the bottom of the pane & onto the sill. The fact that the pane is so large may be a factor in maintaining consistent surface quality across its span during manufacture. Try viewing the area from different angles while placing a white sheet on the inside to see if any imperfections are noticeable.
Like i said I'm not a glazier...speak to one.

Before you contact the suppliers try cleaning the glass with either white vinegar or methylated spirits, it's likely that the surface is contaminated with some silicone or other greasy residue. If the problem persists contact then contact the suppliers.

Back