New pool in skerries who to approach for swimming club?

samanthajane

My mum is involved in swimming teaching/coaching for 22 year and i used to swim for england years ago.

She is teaching in a gym at the moment and lots of children have left because they are unable to afford the membership fees plus the swimming lessons.

With the new pool given the go ahead, if my mum wanted to operate a swimming club ( not just swimming lessons ) how would she go about this.

It would only cost the rental of the pool and my mum and myself are happy to do it voluntary. Where she is at the moment they dont hold any galas, my mum was allowed to do it once and it went very well the children and the parents loved it but her boss doesn't want to do it again. It really gives the kids something to work towards to try and beat their previous times.

It wouldn't just be about learning to swim it would be improving stroke and technique as well. Also having badge nights is a brilliant way for the children to want to improve.

Does anyone know who is going to own this pool. Is it the council that i would have to approach about this or someone else?

Thanks

Samantha

Hi Samantha are you sure this is to go ahead in Skerries? I believe there has been some press speculation that it may be located in Balbriggan. Perhaps the group on boards.ie might be able to help you more (region - north county dublin).

At this moment and time the swimming pool is not going ahead in Skerries. The funding has been transferred to Balbriggan Rugby Football Club who have plans to build a pool. The Club is situated in Balrothery about a mile outside Balbriggan.

Tell her to get in touch with Swim Ireland. There's a lot more to it than just renting the pool.
She could also get in touch with existing clubs and talk to them about what's involved.

Well thats put a burst in my bubble.

Its not just a pool thats going to be in the rugby club it's a gym as well. So they will already have their own swimming lesson ( which isn't a club ) and will cost an arm and a leg to join.

So much for this being a public pool.

Back