New PC Problems

S

shnaek

bought a pc before Christmas from an Irish seller. It was supposed to be delivered in 10 days but it took 3 weeks. It never worked correctly from the outset and I had a world of problems with it.
I returned it to the seller to be fixed. When I recieved it back again it still wasn't working perfectly.
I returned it again. And once again it was returned to me imperfect.
I have now returned it for a third time. Am I entitled to a refund in this case? The company have offered me nothing in compensation, and have been very casual indeed whenever I have contacted them. I have a collect and return guarantee but all three times I have returned it to them myself - one time I drove to Dublin, the other two times I used a courier which they said I would be refunded for.
What are my options here?
Thank you for your help.

What do you mean by "not working correctly"? If the goods were not fit for the purposes for which they were sold then you should be entitled to a refund. See the [broken link removed] and sites for more on your statutory consumer rights in situations such as this.

Shnaek,

What you need to do in this circumstance is very simple. Get very, very irate with them and demand a new pc or your money back. No substitute. Do not accept bland answers from their customer service department. Demand to speak to whoever is in charge. Do not take no for an answer. If I have a gripe I make it my business to be that company's worst nightmare (presuming that I don't get satisfaction through the normal run of the mill channels).

You'll find that this mess will get sorted in no time if you're a complete pain in the ass for these people. It's akin to walking into a shop and shouting that you want service. You'll get served very quickly...even if the staff do curse you profusely afterwards.

Bad PC

I have spoken to the managing director on the phone and I have written emails detailing my dissatisfaction with the pc. They offered to build me a new one last week. I am hoping I will have no problems with it. I just wanted to be sure that I could demand my money back on what has turned out on several occasions to be faulty goods. It has certainly put me off the small Irish computer builder. I'll be going to dell from now on in.

Re: Bad PC

You never said what was wrong with the PC and replacements. One thing to bear in mind is what I heard on RTE's "The Spend" Saturday morning consumer affairs programme recently in which a contributor said that a listener, by entertaining offers of replacements of faulty goods (Playstations or something like that If I recall correctly), may have foregone or undermined some of their statutory rights in relation to automatic refund. I was a bit dubious but it would be worth checking this out with the organisations linked above.

Thanks for that. I will check that out.
The problem the first time was that I would get the dreaded blue screen from time to time and I would have to switch the computer off and leave it for about an hour before I could reboot.
Then there was a memory problem. I had ordered 1024, but the computer constantly registered 512.
When I got the pc back it registered 960 most times, but sometimes it would register 512 again.
Those intermittant problems are the worst.

OK - sounds unusable to me all right. I'd be looking for a refund.