New or old second hand car?

pingin

My 1998 Fiat Punto has finally kicked the bucket (second cylinder head gasket blown in 8 months plus other problems!) and I have to buy a new second hand car.

I'd like something bigger and roomier than the Punto. I had originally intended spending €5000–6000; however, having scoured the internet sites and the papers, I haven't seen anything very inspiring. I like a car to look nice as well as perform well. So I've decided I'll spend some extra money and get a good quality car. I'll be paying cash.

I've visited a few dealers here in Dublin and have now decided that a super-mini would be ideal for me. I don't particularly like the Ford Fiesta, so it's down to a choice between a Nissan Note SE 1.4 ('07, 22K miles) and a Honda Jazz 1.2 ('08, 33K miles). They both cost just under €12,000. €99.99 trade-in offered for the Punto!

Someone said the '07 offered better value. I haven't driven the Jazz yet but the Note was quite nice.

My question is this: am I completely raving mad to spend this amount of money on a car (I do a low yearly milage) or would I be better off spending half that amount (and invest in a mortgage instead)? I don't spend a great deal of money on other things, so a new car would be a big luxury and a great comfort after the Punto.

a car does not have to be new to be a great comfort I would go for something bigger than a super mini and older than 07 you could pick up a bargin at a car auction try it

Not a great fan of saloon cars. Most of them look pretty drab. A Toyota Corolla hatchback is the biggest I'd go. The thing about the Jazz and the Note is that they hold their value whereas if I bought an '03 or '04 car I'd have to start at the bottom of the pile again in four or five years' time.

In the current climate, if you walked into a garage with 5-6,000 cash, your money should go an awful lot further. Try them ! They are all overloaded with used cars that they can't get rid of. Bring the Punto to the scrap yard, don't complicate the purchase as it makes them look like they are doing YOU a favour by taking it off your hands. The scrapyard is where they'll bring the Punto after you are gone !

Saw a 2006 Toyota Corolla Terra tonight. In great condition. 42K on the clock. One careful previous owner. Asking price Euro 11,900.

He offered me 950 for the Punto!

Jazz is a great car. Very roomy for a supermini and honda reliability. If you get a good price on one, buy it.
Sell the punto for scrap and act as a cash buyer

Bought the Jazz for €10700 last night. Got €1250 for the Punto. Sounds like a good deal. I'm getting a car that's in nearly-new condition with a low milage. Still, I wonder... But then, you could go on comparing cars and prices for ever.

Jazz definitely. Relative of mine bought Note in 07 for 17-18k, had TONS of problems. Went to trade it in mid-08 and was offered 10k on average by the dealers. They thought that it being a small, economical car that it'd hold its value - clearly not!

Surfing the web on the Jazz shows that it has gotten rave reviews. You cannot fault Honda - they know how to make a solid reliable motor - just like Toyota.

Back