New New terrace house regs for kitchens/stairs

Lara

Hi
I'm purchasing a new mid-terrace house 1100sq ft and the stairs is directly in front of the hall door and living room just inside the hall door with the kitchen/dining area to back to the back on the plans. The back garden is walled with no back entrance. I was thinking I'd like to put the kitchen to the front of the house and the living dining area facing onto the garden with the stairs in the opposite direction ie going up from the back.

Is this permissible under current regs or is placing the kitchen between the stairs and the front door not permissible due to fire risk ie 1st floor occupants not being able to get out?

Thanks

Lara

how big is the back garden? -as in, is there an argument to be made that in the event of a fire you can go to the rear of garden far enough away from potential fire:(

Hi
The wall at the end of the garden is 20ft high and the garden is 40ft long. I don't think they would accept it as a fire exit. Is it possible to put in a more sophisticated fire alarm that would allow me to change the layout to the above?

Thanks

Lara

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1640,en.pdf

see 1.5 Dwelling Houses

if it were me, and I could not design a suitable alternative, I'd do a rough sketch and send to the local fire/building control officer for comment.

Back