New netbook can't connect to wireless network HELP techies please.....

Determined

Ok I have a netgear router courtesy of ntl all fine and working.
I have a mac book pro again all connected, fine and working
Kids have been using a dinosaur laptop which I decided to replace with an Acer One net book

It arrived today, and I started trying to set it up....

It detected our wireless network no probs, so went to input the key and it gave me error messages about it needing to be 45 bits etc, so I googled that and found that I just needed to input the first 5 digits of the key. That worked but then I had the oul limited or no connectivity.

Again googled and realised I needed a new ip address, dns etc
So in I went and input
ip address: 192 .168 .1 .2
subnet: 255. 255. 255. 0
default gateway: 192. 168. 2 .1

and then unsure I copied the dns from my mac
192. 168. 1. 1

Now it says all is fine. Internet connected, signal strength good but I still can't open a web page ???

This is very techie stuff, so if this isn't the forum maybe someone can direct me where I should go ??
Bought the webbook from amazon and just want to make sure it WILL work
TIA

Seems to be a problem with the Default Gateway Address you have posted.

Try changing it to 192.168.1.1 rather than 192.168.2.1 and see if that resolves things.

Not necessarily, what happens if you change IP settings to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and ""Obtain a DNS address automatically".

Then do an ipconfig/all from a command prompt, and post the results.

When I do that, I get limited or no connectivity

Then an ipconfig/all...
A lot of results, not sure which results will help....

Primary DNS suffix........(blank)
IP routing enabled .........no
WINS proxy enabled........ no

Media state..........media disconnected
Descrip............atheros ar8121/ar8113/ar8114 pci-e e
ethernet controller
physical address.........00-23-5a-51-19-2a

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection
Connection-specific DNS suffix:............(blank)
Descrip......atheros ar5007eg wireless network ad

Physical address.......00-24-2B-85-BE-B6
Dhcp enabled...........yes
Auto config enabled.....yes
Auto config IP addresss........169.254.143.145
Subnet mask.......................255.255.0.0
Default gateway...................(blank)

The Wireless router should give out an IP address by default (assuming the wireless password configured on the laptop is correct).

What IP settings are you using on your Mac?

Mac:
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.2
Router address: 192.168.1.1

Mightn't seem like it but I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, I'm a bloody dressmaker :)
I've copied all IP settings from Mac to the webbook and for all appearances it's worked. Strong signal, all connected but just unable to open any web pages.......just don't understand it......grrrrrr

Well, as i suspected, there's your first problem.

Two machines cannot have the same IP address (it's like a unique name in computerland). So, on the netbook, configure IP settings as follows:

ip address: 192 .168 .1 .3
subnet: 255. 255. 255. 0
default gateway: 192. 168. 1 .1
DNS: 192. 168. 1 .1

Ok that makes perfect sense.....however I still can't get a web page up :confused:

I was wondering if I connected the webbook to the router with an ethernet connection, it might test if the blasted thing was gonna work at all !?
I'd have to go searching for the cables though. They're probably in the shed and not my wire free home......worth a try perhaps ?

Yes, that would confirm that the ethernet port was working. I wouldn't have any doubts that the machine could connect in the first place unless the wireless card was dodgy (haven't seen that happening too often).

May just bee that the wireless settings still aren't configured properly.

From a command prompt can you type in:

ping 192.168.1.1
- that will confirm that it can talk to the router - first hop.

Then do a:
ping www.google.ie

That will confirm that it can resolve the name to an ip address and can connect to the web.

Post results here.

Ok this might have brought up something.....
Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: sent = 4, received = 0, lost = 4 (100% loss)

Not sure what you meant by:
Then do a:
ping www.google.ie

That will confirm that it can resolve the name to an ip address and can connect to the web.

O.K. That means that it cannot talk to the wireless router in the first place.

Reason for that is either the wireless password is incorrect or we have the wrong IP for the router.

On your Mac, open up a web browser and type the following address into the address bar: http://192.168.1.1

or click on the hyperlink.

If the address is correct you should see the login page for your modem and it means that the IP settings are correct but the wireless password and/or the encryption/authentication settings you are using are incorrect.

If you are unsure log onto the wireless modem via that web page (username and password should be admin and admin by default).

Go to the wireless settings page and verify what the settings are
i.e. WEP, WPA etc.

The settings on the netbook should match whats on the router.

Ok I clicked on the link and the login page does indeed pop up but really don't know what username/password to use. I've tried admin and admin, also the no's off the bottom of the router but no luck......:confused:
I think we are slowly getting there and tks so much for your help btw :)

No Prob.

My mistake, if they haven't been changed try

"admin" for the the username &
"password" password.

Oh Wanderer if I could kiss you right now I would. Not only have you helped me connect the webbook but given me a fantastic lesson :)
God bless ask about money and God Bless you.....thank you so much :)

well now, if you could tell me where the EGR valve is located on my Volvo that would be a great help! :rolleyes:

No but I can help you up date your wardrobe :)
Volvo's Rawk, used to have a V70 2.4 it was like driving a plane :)

Back