New Motor Tax Rates not applicable?

OP - the tax will be cc-based sadly, based on date of registration. I think the only exemption was registration in Jan-Jun 2008 where the lower of (cc./CO2) was charged going forward.

I was thinking about buying and bringing in a relative's used E39 BMW 530i because the tax, although based on cc, wasn't too bad (I tend to run cars until they are 10 years old). The VRT was 18k, FFS, plus any extras.

SSE

Well we heard from the ombudman we have to write direct to the Department of the environment and give them time to respond. If no response occurs or we're not happy with the outcome we may then revert back to the ombudsman

Ceatharlach - I have no knowledge of the law but I did wonder myself would there be possible claims or court cases about this as there's no doubt it's a two tiered system. Still I'm not about to fork out for a solicitor at this stage to find out

I will keep going on my own and see where it gets me.

Hey god loves a trier

If you look at it from the side of all owners of pre 08 cars (most people), then you'll see the fairness of it.

If imported pre-08 cars could be taxed at the lower rates, then everyone with a pre-08 low emmission car would have their values slashed further.

Car garages would simply not trade them in as importing 2nd hand cars from UK would be cheaper & better for them.

Anyone who bought a 08 in jan - june in Ireland had a choice as to which tax system they wanted to use.

Only a matter of time before someone takes a court case and the 2 tax systems will have to be abolished - IMHO

mcaul, your choosing to draw the line at one point in time. What about the devalueation of those environmentaly conscience people who bought in 07. The system should be changed for all cars as in the UK.
By your reasoning what will happen is that large engined cars and SUV's, that can now be bought cheaply in the UK due to the change in their laws, will flood the Irish market as they will be pre 08 and have unchanged tax here. Some makes cant be given away over there at the moment.
Its the exact flip side of your argument that is the case.

In 2 years SIMI will be lobbying for the opposite to what they want now!!

Yes but the VRT on importing such a car is based on CO2 and kicks in now and will be crippling.

As an example I just tried an
X5 4.4i 10/2007 with 20k - VRT 30800.
Audi Allroad 3.0TDI 10/2007 with 20k - VRT 25088.

I was looking to buy a relative's 07 530i but VRT was 18k without paying for any extras.

In the UK at present you'd be lucky to get any sort of a reasonable offer on a car over 2 litres. Forecourts are awash with them. The diesel boom is topping out too due to the price differentials on the fuel, big rise in 1.6 petrols. It's the 70s all over again!

Surely the perceived reduction in value for EF 07 cars isn't too bad, presumably there weren't many 4 litre monsters that now pump out very little CO2? What actually is the difference in tax rates on, for e.g., a Clio 1.5DCi before and after?

SSE