New Monitor not working with laptop

S

SteelBlue05

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop. I recently bought a digimate TFT monitor but I cannot get it to work with the laptop yet. It just displays a "No Signal" message when its connected and turned on.

The monitor does work as it works when connected to a different laptop so the issue has to be with my own laptop.

Any ideas?

S

There may be a function on your laptop to switch on the external monitor port. Most laptops have a function key to toggle between internal screen only, external screen only, internal & external screens. On my Tosh laptop, the Function F5 key activates this toggle. On Dells, it was Fn F8 (iirc).

Hi,

Yeah tried that. The laptop monitor blanks out, but theres no display on the external monitor. The "No Signal" message on the external monitor must be because either the laptop doesnt recognise the new hardware or esle the serial port isnt working\disabled.

I did just read this in the laptop manual-

"The external monitor may not be detected. In the BIOS Setup utility, try setting Video Display Device to Both in the System Devices menu."

So I will try this this evening.

Yes you should have an FN + F# key option, if not go to the display settings in the control panel (assuming on XP) and you can set 2 different monitors there and manually switch between them but the FN option is the easiest.

Hi,

Yes its XP (Service pack 2). In the display options in Control Panel there is a second monitor listed and I have tried "Extend my laptop on to this Monitor" option but still nothing displays on the external monitor.

Bit annoying, you'd think this would just be simple.

I have a compaq pressario 2100
Try holding down the function button( "fn" in blue, between "ctrl" and "windows" button) and pressing "F5"
This is how I run an external projector on mine

I think there is three options,
1) on laptop
2) on projecor
3) on both
It will switch between them each time you press

But I think I did have to play around in the control panel display settings the first time I used it

stuart@buyingtolet.ie

thanks Stuart, I think I've tried that. But I think its a more to do with the laptop not recognising the external monitor. Having said that I will try it again as maybe I need to press FN + F5 a few times if it is cycling through the options you say.

no luck. My laptop is about 2 years old, any chance its VGA port is not compatable with an LCD monitor?

Just checked my laptop with a normal CRT monitor and it works fine. But it still doesnt work with a LCD screen, I get a No Signal message.

Any ideas?

Is it normal for some laptops to support CRTs monitors but not LCD flatscreens?

Have you tried playing around with the resolution of the lcd under the display settings for the 2nd monitor in the control panel ? - maybe the lcd doesn't support the resolution currently set on the laptop so you could try setting it down to 800x600

paddyc said:
Have you tried playing around with the resolution of the lcd under the display settings for the 2nd monitor in the control panel ? - maybe the lcd doesn't support the resolution currently set on the laptop so you could try setting it down to 800x600

Yeah tried that, there seems to be some connection going on because when I change the settings for monitor 2 and apply them then the external monitor jumps in to life to give me the "No Signal" message again.

I've tried updating my display drivers etc etc. no luck.

Have you tried the LCD on a different computer or have you ever seen it working ? It may be a dodgy monitor

paddyc said:
Have you tried the LCD on a different computer or have you ever seen it working ? It may be a dodgy monitor

Yeah tried that too. The monitor does work on another laptop. And now because a normal CRT monitor works on my laptop makes me totally confused as to why an LCD monitor will not.

euroDilbert said:
I wonder - does the new monitor need a digital input (called DVI, I think) ?

Its only input socket is the standard VGA input, and the new monitor does work, I tried it on another laptop.

SteelBlue05 said:
Its only input socket is the standard VGA input, and the new monitor does work, I tried it on another laptop.

Are you using the same display settings (800 x 600 or whatever) on both laptops?

You may find that you have to power down the laptop and power it on with the external monitor connected. You may then have to press a function key (e.g. Fn + F7) in order to toggle between the PC and the laptop.

I notice that under XP you seem to have to reboot in order to detect external LCD monitors.

Back