New mobile but does not do what salesman said

elefantfresh

I just bought a new mobile - Samsung SGH S400i. I know very little about phones but i told the guy in the shop i wanted to be able to take pictures and send them to other phones etc. I also wanted to be able to use MP3's as a ringtone. So, i choose this particular phone on his recommendation that it did all the above. I got it home and hooked it up to my pc via bluettooth. Began playing with it but could not get MP3's to work whatsoever. I can't even copy them onto the phone. I found on a different forum that this phone does NOT support MP3's!! Can i return this phone and get a different model? Its only my word that the salesperson said these things. He even said that there was room to store MP3's on it and i could listen to them from the phone. I'm very annoyed at spending 200e for something that doesn't do what i was informed it would. Do i have any rights to return it for a different model? i'm not looking for my money back. I just want a phone that does these things.

elefantfresh said:
I just bought a new mobile - Samsung SGH S400i. I know very little about phones but i told the guy in the shop i wanted to be able to take pictures and send them to other phones etc. I also wanted to be able to use MP3's as a ringtone. So, i choose this particular phone on his recommendation that it did all the above. I got it home and hooked it up to my pc via bluettooth. Began playing with it but could not get MP3's to work whatsoever. I can't even copy them onto the phone. I found on a different forum that this phone does NOT support MP3's!! Can i return this phone and get a different model? Its only my word that the salesperson said these things. He even said that there was room to store MP3's on it and i could listen to them from the phone. I'm very annoyed at spending 200e for something that doesn't do what i was informed it would. Do i have any rights to return it for a different model? i'm not looking for my money back. I just want a phone that does these things.

if he said it does mp3s and it doesn't do mp3s then you get your money back....

Do you have the phone long??? If it's only 14 to 28 days you should be ok to return this on the basis that you were misled by the sales person. Try and deal with the same person who sold you the phone. If he's not around ask for the manager to sort this out. They might say to you that you cannot return it on the basis that you have used it and they'll do anything to fob you off as a return looks bad on their sales records. If all else fails get in contact with their head office and explain what has happened. The most important thing to do here is get everybodys name that you deal with.

Thanks people - went to the shop yesterday with my angle of attack in my head. be cool and unaggresive. guy couldn't have been any more apolgetic - got my money back straightaway! thanks again.

Back