New M4 (Kilcock - Kinnegad)

S

SteelBlue05

Anyone use the new stretch of M4 yet?

The NRA say it will take 20mins off the journey in peak traffic. 20 mins, the best scenario? Anyone found it time saving yet?

Will it be worth 2.50e though? I travel west a fair bit returning late at night, surely it couldnt save that much time if there was no traffic on the road.
Coming home to dublin theres a stretch before kinnegad thats not the best but apart from that the road isnt too bad.

Having got stuck on Sunday evenings the occassional time I took the "main" road into Dublin rather than the Ballivor-Summerhill, I will gladly pay the 2.50 as it wil save at least 1/2 and hour.

What's the bets that the Gardai needing to fill their quotas, will sit there pulling in the money even though the road will be safe and you take the back road and will never get caught

guzzler said:
What's the bets that the Gardai needing to fill their quotas, will sit there pulling in the money even though the road will be safe and you take the back road and will never get caught

Why don't you just stick to the speed limit, keep yourself safe, keep other road users safe, and get there 25mins earlier rather than 30mins earlier?????

Ronan - I take your point though I would argue the toss on the timings. I was trying to point out (though very badly articulated) that for the last 7 years I have taken the back road along with many others and only once did I see a Guard.
I will be driving down West the same number of times next year and I will bet/guarantee you I will see speed cops on this new stretch of road more in the next year than I did for the previous 7 on the back road. And we all know which is the safer road !

As regards its price, the Minister pointed out that to travel the same distance from Dublin to Galway in France could cost up to €18 so we should not whin about €2.50. Now €18 may be a slight exaggeration, but he's not far off the mark, anyone who's ever been on French motorways will tell you that.

I live in Mullingar and could'nt be happier with the way the transport system is shaping up at present here - brand new M4 motorway just opened, increased train frequency since Monday, and the new town C-link ringroad is finally making serious progress. At the moment its all looking good... we'll see how it is in a few years time...

CGorman said:
I live in Mullingar and could'nt be happier with the way the transport system is shaping up at present here - brand new M4 motorway just opened, increased train frequency since Monday, and the new town C-link ringroad is finally making serious progress. At the moment its all looking good... we'll see how it is in a few years time...

But it's still Mullingar :D

CGorman said:
As regards its price, the Minister pointed out that to travel the same distance from Dublin to Galway in France could cost up to €18 so we should not whin about €2.50. Now €18 may be a slight exaggeration, but he's not far off the mark, anyone who's ever been on French motorways will tell you that.
I remember hearing this soundbite last night on the news but I don't think it's fair to compare without more complete information. What are French road taxes like? What's the French train/commuter train system like? How much would a train journey of similar distance (Dublin/Galway) compare?

Decani said:
How much would a train journey of similar distance (Dublin/Galway) compare?

I agree with your point overall Decani regarding taxes/fair comparision. I just wanted to say I used the Sligo-Dublin line today and it really has improved dramatically since I last used it (a month ago). I went to the open day in TCD and there where not just two - but 5 trains back to Mullingar between 5pm and 7pm. It was much better than normal. In addition the Mullingar-Dublin train in the morning was just 30min late, thats half the normal delay! ;)

I've two exact timings for you, staying at all times within speed limit.

Spa Hotel - Charlestown 2 hours (approx 30mins reduction)

Clonsilla - Collooney 1 hr 50 mins, again about 30 mins reduction.

This is a huge improvement, and quite happy to pay €2.50 for that sort of benefit.....whereas that bloody M50....grrr:mad:

I used it yesterday, and got from M50 exit to Mullingar bypass in just 30Mins. Does 'exactly what it says on the can' - to use an annoying advert slogan! Brilliant.

Back