New Leinster House bicycle shed cost €335,000 due to 'sensitive location'

I sit on a committee of a sports club, we recently installed new dug outs, cost €16k. If the roof of them was extended a bit, you'd easily get 18 bikes into them.

I accept the Dail may be a bit more awkard in terms of security, access, getting a mixer in etc, but €330K+ more awkard.?

I accept the Dail may be a bit more awkard in terms of security, access, getting a mixer in etc, but €330K+ more awkard.?
Public Sector awkward. The Public Sectors ability to waste public money is boundless.

No doubt the original quote was 6,000, but consultant fees, planning reviews etc. We'll probably find out now bikes won't fit in it.

This bit....

The stand was built with a special cantilevered canopy that is designed to protect from the prevailing northerly winds.

It has not been fully enclosed however, with some believing it leaves their bikes too exposed to the elements.

its not even functioning as a proper bike shed....335k and your bike gets nice and rusty.

Ireland is different though.

The Dail must have its own climate zone. All that hot air

According to Met.ie the prevailing wind direction in Ireland is:
The prevailing wind direction is between south and west.

https://www.met.ie/climate/what-we-measure/wind

Here it is...I was expecting some archictural Xanadu for 335k instead its about 9k worth of dysfunctional nonsence.
I mean why even bother with a roof.

I was expecting something a bit grander...
I was expecting gargoyles, a 2 Mile mature tree lined avenue, valet parking with shower and lockers , a rest room with a fridge packed with kobe beef sandwiches and vintage moet, served by waiters wearing impeccably tailored uniforms.

I'd be interested to see the educational (business degree & procurement qualifications and previous experience) of all involved in this process.

Last edited:
Other people's money.

Not the first time the opw had not a care in the world about cost. And won't be the last time.

Here it is...I was expecting some archictural Xanadu for 335k instead its about 9k worth of dysfunctional nonsence.
I mean why even bother with a roof.
View attachment 9298
That's only the bit you can see above ground. There's 3 subterranean levels that will link to the metro. Can also be used as a bunker and command centre in the event of an apocalypse.

It’s absolutely shocking. It’s not even what cyclists want. It’s neither secure nor properly sheltered. Whoever signed off on this needs to be taken to task.

Leinster House’s €336,000 bike shelter ‘used by average of just 4.5 cyclists a day’

(Quote) The use of the new bike shed, which can fit 18 in total, was monitored from last May. The results showed the 18 covered spaces “have been used by an average of 4.5 bikes per day”.

Yet there were averages of 46 bikes left outside Leinster House – the majority at the front – rising to a peak of 85 bikes on one day.

“While these numbers are positive, they do not justify the provision of additional covered parking,” it was claimed, despite most cyclists entering at Kildare Street, rather than the other side of the building.

The shelter, which was completed by mid-April, was erected after representations from Labour Party leader Ivana Bacik.

Last edited:
It’s absolutely shocking. It’s not even what cyclists want. It’s neither secure nor properly sheltered. Whoever signed off on this needs to be taken to task.
They mightn't get a pay rise at their next review...

Theory doing the rounds online is that there resurfacing works done on the car park and the bike shed used as an excuse to grab 'active travel' budget for it.