New lawn advice

Leesider32

Hi all,

Slightly embarrassed putting up this question but need advice on what should be a simple job of growing grass!! :)

Dug up the back lawn a month ago as wanted to plant new grass, covered it with a layer of topsoil but the grass has grown a bit patchy so far. I have sewn extra seeds in the barren patches but my question relates to the parts growing well. Some of it is at least 4 inches now, should I cut these with a clippers to around 3 inches just to keep it in check?

I know you aren't supposed to mow it until after 2 months and no intention of doing that but should I be taking care of the longer patches at this stage?

Decent guide [broken link removed], should be no issue mowing the grass at the highest setting.

Leesider - When you dug up the garden, did you clear the old grass growth first ? Did you use the same grass seed type across all the lawn? Was it from one bag / box or multiples of such? Just in relation to the patches - different seed types will give you different results and any pre-established grass will also start growing through the layer of top soil.

No issue with cutting the longer grass with a clippers, but make sure the grass is dry when you are doing so, and just take the very tip of the grass off. Is there a specific reason why you want to cut it. Is the grass just falling over / becoming unsightly?

Need to make sure that your lawn is well watered - it's critical that the seedlings / young grass get enough water over the next few months. Don't expect that it gets enough with any rain / drizzle that falls.

For when you do start to mow the lawn, make sure that you only take off a max of 1/3 the length of grass. Little and often (small cuts on a regular basis). Once it's well established in the spring of next year, make sure you feed it. Enjoy the new lawn!!!

Thanks for the replies and in answer to the questions:

- Yeah I cleared most of the old grass growth
- All the same grass seed and from the one box
- Falling over in parts more than anything else so at a decent height
- I have done plenty of watering especially where it gets more sun, small space but massive difference in soil moisture from where it gets the sun all day and where it only gets it in the morning. Patchiness is across all areas though.

Know nothing about the size of your lawn etc. but....

Consider setting aside part of it to go wild, including sowing wildflowers. In my view, a lot nicer than just grass, and very necessary for the bee and insect population. Again, there's a lot of info on the net as it is very popular at the moment (for good reason, considering some of Irelands bee species are in danger of extinction).

And as your username is Leesider, have a drive down past Innishannon, (I was there yesterday). They have planted a lot of wildflowers and left the road margins wild on the way in. I though it looked fabulous.

Know nothing about the size of your lawn etc. but....

Consider setting aside part of it to go wild, including sowing wildflowers. In my view, a lot nicer than just grass, and very necessary for the bee and insect population. Again, there's a lot of info on the net as it is very popular at the moment (for good reason, considering some of Irelands bee species are in danger of extinction).

And as your username is Leesider, have a drive down past Innishannon, (I was there yesterday). They have planted a lot of wildflowers and left the road margins wild on the way in. I though it looked fabulous.

I like that idea, unfortunately I am in exile so won't get to see it for a few weeks. Mrs Leesider is going to really like that one!!

Is that because ye didn’t make it to the hurling semis?

I’ve wilded mine and scattered a few grass seeds (as in for growing grass for grazing). The dogs love it but it makes poo patrols a bit of an adventure!!

Up Tipp on Sunday.

I seeded mine about 4 months ago and its only now that the patches are closing in. It takes time. As long as it all got a good coverage of seeds it will grow eventually.

Is that because ye didn’t make it to the hurling semis?

I’ve wilded mine and scattered a few grass seeds (as in for growing grass for grazing). The dogs love it but it makes poo patrols a bit of an adventure!!

Up Tipp on Sunday.

Going to do the double next year so that'll make up for it!!! :cool:

Best of luck in the final!!

Back