New Laptop

Summer

Advice please on the best laptop available to purchase for a 14 year old who would like to download music to her ipod. Also any information on satelite broadband. This will be her christmas present and in view of her age I would prefer not to spend a small fortune. I believe Lidl have good offers?

Thanks
Summer

lidl and aldi have excellent offers on laptops but its all relevant. Theyve been offering laptops for 1499e and 1399e where a similar specced machine elsewhere would cost a lot more. However, they are feature laden. Tescos and Dunnes have been doing laptops for around the 700-750 mark lately, I cant remember the spec but do remember remarking to myself that they would be fine for home use. I cant seem to find any references to them on their respectives sites (tesco.ie and dunnesstores.ie) but if you go into any of their shops you should find them.
You should easily be able to pick up something for under 800e for home use.(internet,music etc) so try dell, elara, , [broken link removed] for offers. If youre in town I believe the laptopshop on top floor in stephens green is very good.

As for satellite broadband, where are you based, if your only option is satellite then sure, but in order of choices available on availability and price I would go for the the following in order
Digiweb metro
NTL cable
BT adsl
Imagine adsl
Irish broadband
anything else
Eircom

Car,

Thank you so much for all the information. We live in Meath so I believe our choices are limited.

Thanks
Summer

Hi summer,
Im in ashbourne myself and have a good range of broadband options. Digiweb/Irish broadband/Smart/NTL arent here yet so ring eircom and if they say your line passes for BB, then you can get eircom, BT or imagine as they all use the same ADSL format over the phone line. As I posted earlier, if you can, Id pick BTs 40euro BB + line rental based on price for comparable offerings from the other providors. Which is what I did last month after a full review of what was on offer.
I know ICE had a wireless offering out here but I found them to be expensive for what they were offering. If you have no other options though...

I'd agree use satellite as a last resort. Not sure I'd put Digiweb Metro at the top of the list, it may turn out to be wonderful but it is too new and not really stress tested by a large user base yet to be sure and even if it was I think NTL might still be a better bet (despite the lower upload speed) due to its reputed rock solid reliabilty, however as the OP is in Meath this is not an option.

I'd agree use satellite as a last resort. Not sure I'd put Digiweb Metro at the top of the list, it may turn out to be wonderful but it is too new and not really stress tested by a large user base yet to be sure
Agreed the user base limitation is a worry, however if we can trust the line, the reason Id pick digiweb is I can very shortly see them offering broadband/phone AND TV on the [broken link removed]. They do have the bandwidth with the lines theyre putting in. Theres also the fact you dont need the traditional landline.
AFAIK NTL dont currently have the capacity to offer all 3 without doing huge upgrades.

and even if it was I think NTL might still be a better bet (despite the lower upload speed) due to its reputed rock solid reliabilty, however as the OP is in Meath this is not an option
I had NTL BB until a recent house move and hadnt had one drop in over 12 months, I rang NTL for any rollout plans and none existed, partly I suspect to do with their buyout rumours. However, as chorus and NTL recently , and chorus have cable in meath, this may be a move to rollout BB out here. (fingers Xed.)