New Laptop?

Gimme

My daughter who is attending a university in the UK wants to purchase a laptop. Her main requirements will be Word, PowerPoint, e-mail, DVD, download/listen to music. She is not big into games so I don't see the need for a very high powered PC.

Should I purchase in Ireland or the UK - take into account sales (cost) and service?

What types (makes/models) should I consider or avoid?

You might also give me some idea on what specifications I should consider:

Processor

Memory

Hardrive

Graphics

Virus Protection

?

?

etc.

One more thing - will she be able to log onto the university's network? or will I need to get some sort of connection device?

I know there is a lot here but I haven't a clue about PCs other then using them.

Thanks in advance.

Does she need one?

Will she mind it?

How will you insure it?

If you still want to get her one go for a basic model - buy MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint as you say she'll need these - but don't go purchasing a high powered PC for run of the mill use. Contact the Uni to see have they any contract with a local PC Shop - you might get a good deal, also try eBay for a 2nd hand one.

Make sure you get a laptop with WiFi.

That way she can wirelessly connect to the campus network...if they have one.

Dell Inspiron 6000 wouldn't be a bad choice for her purposes I think.

Gimme said:
...and suddenly the price went up to €812

They typically bump up the support, go for the basic (usually one of the first choices) & you will see the price come down again.

BTW, I have been told many a time that Toshiba is the way to go with laptops, they are supposed to be much more reliable.....

I used a Dell for well over 2 years and my sister has one at the moment. I had to have the keypad/mouse on mine replaced/service three times. My sister has had similar problems with hers.

I currently have a Fujitsu Siemens, and wouldn't be in a hurry to recommend it, even though I did get a good deal at the time.

The best of the three laptops I had was the IBM Thinkpad-nice little machine, and easier to carry (lighter) than the other two.

A laptop is a good investment for a college student-no more excuses about not being able to get a computer in the lab as a reason for not completing assignments etc.!

The Dell Inspiron 2200 has a wireless card.

As regards sofware, you can go for MS Office (Student Licence) or openoffice.org (free).

Regardless of which laptop you get you should get a Europe wide 3 year next business day warranty. I would agree that the keyboards can be a bit crappy on the Dell laptops but they are usually keenly priced. I like the Dell Latitude D610.

Last edited:
Has anyone a comment (good or bad) on the following specs?

Fujitsu Siemens Notebook
Intel®
Celeron®
512MB,
40GB,
DVD Burner,
LAN/Modem,
Wireless LAN,
15.4" TFT W-XGA,
Microsoft XP HOME,
Microsoft Works 7.0
All for €874 (incl delivery)

Gimme said:
Has anyone a comment (good or bad) on the following specs?

Fujitsu Siemens Notebook
Intel®
Celeron®
512MB,
40GB,
DVD Burner,
LAN/Modem,
Wireless LAN,
15.4" TFT W-XGA,
Microsoft XP HOME,
Microsoft Works 7.0
All for €874 (incl delivery)

Sounds similar to the spec on mine, which I find to be ok. Like I said above, I wouldn't be in a hurry to recommend it. We have had to get the motherboard replaced (done under warranty). Pretty good price-but there is a Packard Bell in PC World for around €850 with a Pentium 3 (might be slightly better than a Celeron, specs are pretty similar other than that).

Go HP

Support Very Good, Any basic Laptop with a dvdcdrw will do.
Make sure anti Virus is up to date and do not register on any
webb sites for anything free.
Put personal data on a usb Keyring Disk,, if it is projects etc.

Tyrell

HP - Big big BIG problem is the batteries- start off fine but after a few months they last no more than a hour. We have stopped buying them here and moved to Dell - d400 as a lot of travelling involved here.

Back