New laptop

Completely depends on budget and requirements. You can start at anything from 6-700e and go up from there.

If you have 1500e to spare Lidl and Aldi do a very high spec which come in on special every couple of months but which, Ive heard, can be back ordered. If you want to see roughly what you can get for your buck, go to dell.ie, take a basic model and price a desired config.

If youre in town, theres a lot of good talk going on about this laptopshop in the stephens green SC.

Check out the Dell Factory Outlet for a few good deals. It sells computers "that have been returned to Dell for a variety of reasons" but have been fully retested and repackaged.

For example there's an Inspiron 9300 there at the moment with the following spec all for €980:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
Processor: Pentium M 740 1.73 GHz,
Memory: 512MB
Hard Disk Drive: 60GB
Screen: 17.0"
CD R/W Drive: 8x DVD+/-RW
Software: Microsoft® Works® 7.0 & Adobe Reader 6.0

stuart said:
New laptop?

Any suggestions

stuart@buyingtolet.ie
What you will use it for and how (e.g. desktop replacement used in a fixed location or complete lightweight mobility required?) and what your budget is will narrow the choice down a bit. It's impossible to recommend possible solutions without at least this sort of info.

I know it is a bit vague but I posted it, realised that and tried to delete it but couldn't find a tab for deleting and was in a rush

Not sure what I want really and was looking for some recommendations to get me started

Stuart,
I recently bought a Dell Latitude D800 and am very happy with it. I considered buying an apple power book (the apple stores in the states are so cool its hard to walk out without picking up something) however a lot of the applications I might need for work (for example SAP) are not necessarily supported on an apple mac.

It really comes down to what you want the laptop for? Is it just for email, internet access, word? Or will it serve as a work laptop too? If so what type of appliations do you need to run? Are they drawing, design applications? Or company intranet applications (for examples sales tools such as emac)?

If you are looking for a laptop just to upload pictures, play music, movies, internet access, email, word then I would go for the Apple iBook (15" screen).

cas.

casiopea said:
Stuart,

If you are looking for a laptop just to upload pictures, play music, movies, internet access, email, word then I would go for the Apple iBook (15" screen).

cas.

Just on that, is it possible to network a Windows PC and Apple laptop on the same wireless setup i.e. have the wireless modem and router connected to a Windows desktop and have the Apple laptop wirelessly connected to the network??

stuart said:
New laptop?
Any suggestions
This months (August) PC Pro has a Labs Test of 12 power notebooks and also that magazines A-List is rarely wide of the mark; €6.55 at a newsagent near you.

Back