new laptop ideas...

thaiaddict

hi can anyone recommend a good quality laptop for around 5 - 6 hundred euro...maybe little more. would like it future proofed..blue ray, hdmi etc. My main use is surfing, downloading music movies etc. So pretty fast is important decent memory. Was looking on laptop direct, thinking about acer aspire 5920. Currently using lenovo ideapad which is pretty neat but to buy new laptop. Any opinions welcome. Thanks

We bought a Compaq 3GB Athlon in PC world before xmas for € 600.
Its quite a good machine ...Has HDMI , not Blu ray

As you probably know the memory is important ( RAM )

I'm sure 2009 laptops will probably have 4 , 5 or maybe even 6gb installed as standard .

I'm not a fan of future proofing.
Bluray will add €200-300 to the price so I would only get this if I knew I'd be using it for watching movies.
I bought a laptop on dabs.ie recently, found their prices good & delivery was €12.

HP and Lenovo are good brands, I ve owned a few dells and havent been impressed with them, OK if you just want the basics - Internet and word processing. I use a lenovo now and have been impressed with its performance, for circa €600 you would probably be looking at the the SL500 model

I got one of last week, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, bluetooth, webcam etc for £400!

cheers guys...no too sure bout blueray at the mo...wether make good use of it or not, for the money....hi cole, are comebacks good with that site....and worth it when convert sterling to euro using credit card etc...

I'd go for a Toshiba if you can get a good one in your price range, or a Sony. Both make good solid laptops, I would not go for a lesser brand like Acer, false economy. As someone mentioned already, dabs.ie tends to have very competitive prices and a good site for choosing the spec you want.

Santa brought me an ASUS 1000 recently and heard on the grapevine it was just over 400 yoyos - it's about 1/2 the size of my work laptop and weighs very little - nice machine.

Roy

Hi thaiaddict... not sure about returns etc, I'm sure it's on the terms and conditions on the site. The sterling/euro price wasn't really that much different as last week they were so close to parity.

I got one of last week, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, bluetooth, webcam etc for £400!

Hi Cole,

When I go onto this site, I'm not allowed to change the shipping country from the UK to Ireland? Any ideas?

Thanks
Shelley

No Point as standard Vista / XP can only use 3.5 GB max

Don't use standard Vista or XP then? :)

Can't be many apps most people use would need more anyway.

If you get a blueray drive you need a blueray screen res to do it justice.

....blue ray, hdmi etc. My main use is surfing, downloading music movies etc. So pretty fast is important decent memory. ...

For downloading and surfing a faster web connection is what you need. Any standard laptop would be good enough. If you are going for wifi consider getting laptop and router with the faster wireless, 802.11n.

Hi Cole,

When I go onto this site, I'm not allowed to change the shipping country from the UK to Ireland? Any ideas?

Thanks
Shelley
Hi Shelley

I got that too when I first started. I used google checkout instead. Hope this helps. (great laptop by the way, I'm delighted with it.)

Hi Shelley

I got that too when I first started. I used google checkout instead. Hope this helps. (great laptop by the way, I'm delighted with it.)

STAR!!!!

Thanks a million Cole, I just placed my order. Hopefully by Friday I'll be sorted :eek:)

Back