New Kitchen

Dman

Hi Folks,

I'm looking into changing my kitchen and checking has anyone do something simialir themselves recently.
To be honest I'm not a handy man, so not planning on installing etc myself. Less haselle the better.
Is there anywhere you can go, they will give you ideas and do up a plan or 3D view of a new ktichen.
Just went to B&Q over the weekend and just ended up more confussioned than anything.
Plus the lady working there told me that their fitters charge double the price of the kitchen to install e.g. Cost of Kitchen €3000, fitting is also €3000. That doesn't sound right to me??
Any feedback would be greatly appericated.

I think your first port of call should be Cash and Carry Kitchens; you'll get a plan (maybe not a fancy 3D one though) and a detailed quote with a full breakdown and installation fee. Armed with this you can see what the other suppliers can do. Don't forget that you'll also have to consider selection and cost of all electrical appliances, tiling, floor finish, wiring and plumbing etc. There's a lot more to a new kitchen than just the cabinetry.

Hi Dman

we got our kitchen from B&Q and were quoted €700 for the fitters to fit it (kitchen cost just over €2000). Am amazed you were quoted that much to fit it.

We ended up fitting it ourselves - having said that my father in law if very good at DIY so he was able to mount all the cupboards and put in the counter, sink etc. Myself and my husband put the actual cupboards together which although time consuming was not difficult. Also with B&Q something tends to be missing - in our case it was two cupboard doors and the pull out larder but we could live without those till we got them.

We didn't get a 3D view of the kitchen as the package wasn't working on the guys computer (!!) (he came out to measure etc.) but supposedly normally you can get this done. We went to Cash & Carry who did a rough drawing up in front of us from what we told them and we went to Kitchens Direct who did a 3D scan and I thought were pretty helpful. Prices there and C&C were around €4000. Finally went to the Panelling Centre where you have to make an appt to see someone to do up a 3D of your kitchen but who seemed like better quality. We didn't end up getting a quote from there at all.

HTH

M