New Kitchen &

MandaC

New Kitchen & Conservatory

I am thinking of getting some work done on the downstairs of my house.

New Kitchen
New Tiles - wall and floor
Wooden Floors
Conservatory (this will involve moving the existing back door and replacing it with a window.

I am absolutely no good at this type of thing and have no contacts whatsoever in building.

Am I better getting one builder to supply and fit (if that's the correct term) the whole kit and caboodle or am I better getting individual people to do it.

Can anyone recommend either way.

Can anyone recommend either a good conservatory fitter and/or good kitchen suppliers. I have been to the "cash & carry" kitchen type outlets and find their selections too limited. Looking for something a step up.

I am also worried that when people come to quote and see a woman on her own, they will do a "house of horrors" type costing on me? Do tradespeople actually do this.

Thanks

MandaC

Hi MandaC,

You've put so much effort into your many helpful posts recently I feel compelled to try to return the compliment :)

Now, where to start. If I didn't have to go to work tomorrow I might start on the work meself - only jokin' - would probably fall into the same category as yourself i.e. only know a little about DIY. I'm probably only useful at nagging/supervising the work.

IMHO it would be best to get one builder to do the work and we have had previous threads with recommendations

So that you have some general knowledge in order that you are not ripped off it might be wise to have a read of these key posts:

(if you are looking for something a bit more upmarket to Cash and Carry or Panelling Centre then Magnet spring to mind)

When you mention replacing the door with a window do you mean patio doors?

Hope this helps and shout if you need any other advice. I'm sure others here will offer further help also.

Thanks, Sueellen,

I want to move the window to where the existing back door is, and put French Doors where the existing window is, if that makes sense, so they will swop over. At present, my kitchen is broken up by the back door, so if I put a window there, the French doors will be in the dining room. My house was just built odd in the first place.

Hate the thought of having to get quotes, etc, for all this work. But I will give it a go.

I saw an ad in Home section of the Sunday Times yesterday for Sie Matic kitchens by Houseworks Ltd on Erne Road Dublin - the kitchen looked top class.

I saw some briliant kitchens at the myhome fair in the rds - one in particular with an italian name I can't remember caught the eye - ultra modern sleek red, if I find the brochure I'll post the details.

With regards to the 'do tradespeople actually do this?' - unfortunately the answer is that some definitely do - the more savvy you make yourself out to be the less likely they are to try take you for a sucker. To counter this you need to get as many quotes (at least 3) as you can and play them off against each other (i.e. try and get the one you feel most confident in to match the lowest quote by saying things like 'Builder X is gonna do it for Y amount and is even throwing in the doors for free and I want to go with him cos he's recommended by my sister but unfortunately hes unavailable for 3 weeks and I'd prefer to start sooner but I'm not that pushed so if you can match Y amount I'll go with you otherwise I'll wait".

Ensure you clearly define what the quotes include so that you are comparing like with like (i.e. list everything - doors, plastering, kitchen units etc.). However, don't expect to get a detailed price breakdown of each area - plenty of builders would regard this as too much hassle and won't want you having transparency on what they are actually charging for labour.

Generally sourcing all the tradesmen yourself is cheaper but I don't think you are in a position to do this as a certain level of knowledge is required - you are probably best getting one builder in to handle everything in a turnkey solution as this will save you a lot of hassle.

"I want to move the window to where the existing back door is, and put French Doors where the existing window is, if that makes sense, so they will swop over"

Hi,

My main reason for asking is just to make sure that if you get french doors that they have:

1. Good security bolts because so many friends have had their houses burgled because they did not have the new bolts on the doors which run the full length of the door. As it would seem that your french doors will be inside the conservatory this security aspect may not be quite so important. BTW have you considered the sunroom -v- conservatory angle.

2. As far as I know you should ensure that a steel girder (rsj) is fitted above the patio door for support reasons. Perhaps some others here can confirm if this is definitely necessary.

That's all that springs to mind at the moment and would agree with OhPinchy about getting a few quotes.

I had a similar job done recently. Built an extension, replaced patio door with a window, put in a velux and reorganised the kitchen layour with additional presses/worktop. Got one builder to do the lot and it worked out well.

My neighbour did a similar job, but employed different people. In the end it worked out much the same pricewise. My neighbour got quotes ranging from €4k to €9k for his new kitchen, so important to shop around and not take the first quote you get.

This is the guy who did my neighbours kitchen........

[broken link removed]

Advert in the Northside people claims:
- All Dublin areas covered
- Free dishwasher or oven & hob with every kitchen until end of May'05

(my neighbour didn't want the appliances & he knocked €500 off his quote)

Visited a showroom in Clondalkin Industrial Estate today "Elegant Kitchens & Bedrooms". Range in showroom was of a high standard and I might get them out for a quote. They stock TEKA and AEG range of appliances. Has anyone any experience of them, good or bad. I asked about how prices would compare to other kitchen manufacturers and I think they would fall above the Cash & Carry prices but below the Magnet type prices, so that would suit me.

Will do more kitchen shopping on Saturday.

Lemurz said:
This is the guy who did my neighbours kitchen........

[broken link removed]

Advert in the Northside people claims:
- All Dublin areas covered
- Free dishwasher or oven & hob with every kitchen until end of May'05

(my neighbour didn't want the appliances & he knocked €500 off his quote)
Don't you just hate website that start playing music without asking for permission first!

The music is mad on that site. Have had a look at the site and it says he only does Northside, probably afraid to travel to us mad lot in the Wild West! Some of the kitchens look quite nice.

When you look at the special offer, it seems to read that the fully fitted kitchen is €3,100. That couldn't be correct, could it? Or is it just the extras that are that price.

i would recommend you get an architect, the fees are not that expensive, and its money well spent, they will deal with as much / little of the project as you want them to

Back