New kitchen - how much discount to expect?

ang1170

We're getting a new kitchen fitted, and it looks like it's going to be an expensive enough one (€30 - €40k), due to size (large) and finishes.

So far, we've three separate quotes.

We haven't talked about any discount from the quoted figures yet and I'm not sure how much to ask or expect.

What are people's experience on this? Is it like buying a new car, where nobody pays the list price? what's an average discount, if so?

Hi

I am speaking from within the trade so hopefully this helps.

The bottom line with any product is that if a business is likely to give discounts, then you can probably be sure they have allowed for the discount in their pricing. It does not make business sense for a company to knock 5, 10 or 15% off their GENUINE price unless they are very quiet and desperate for business. This money comes straight off the bottom line for a business and the only reason they might do such a thing is if they are extremely quiet and need to keep fitters busy.

When comparing quotes it is almost impossible to compare like for like. If you are buying for example a German (like we sell) or Italian kitchen, it is necessary when comparing that you are getting the exact same accessories, drawer systems, slow stop systems and door finishes as these can affect the price quiet a lot. As you move from supplier to supplier, there are different standards of quality available - all german kitchens are not the same for example.

In our business, we do not discount at all - and by doing this consistently people know not to expect it and are assured that no creative pricing takes place. I also know that some of the other higher quality suppliers of german kitchens in Ireland have the same policy and price their kitchens using the same software and RRPs as we do.

If you find a large difference in price between what appears to you -0 similiar designs - then go back to the company and ask them how this can be. If they have been genuine in their pricing, they should be able to clearly show why their price is higher and you can then decide for yourself if what they offer is worth the higher investment.

Regards
Barry

I just went through getting a kitchen designed and price. At the end of the process I asked straight up was this the best price and immediately I got 10% knocked off. I reckon if I had to argue it I could go for a few more but I am happy with the dicounted price and the supplier is obviously happy as they went down to that without any question. With that said my kitchen was a fraction of the cost of your one so while I was talking in terms of a few hundred you could be looking at 4k, that's a lot of money. I would say look for 10% and see what happens.

Hi

I am speaking from within the trade so hopefully this helps.

The bottom line with any product is that if a business is likely to give discounts, then you can probably be sure they have allowed for the discount in their pricing. It does not make business sense for a company to knock 5, 10 or 15% off their GENUINE price unless they are very quiet and desperate for business. This money comes straight off the bottom line for a business and the only reason they might do such a thing is if they are extremely quiet and need to keep fitters busy.

Regards
Barry

Barry,

Many thanks for the detailed response.

I completely take your point about comparing like-with-like and going by quality as well as price.

My problem was in knowing what to expect in terms of business norms for the sector. It's all very well saying that businesses who discount have already factored in the discount to their pricing (they clearly have), but how is the consumer supposed to know if that's the case or not? I know that if I go into a Renault dealer I can expect at least 10% off the cost of a new one, but if I look for even a cent off the price of a new Mini I'm unlikely to get one, no matter how hard I push. This willingness to discount isn't always down to brand and perceived quality: it all depends on the market. Pity the poor consumer who pays full list price for their new Renault.

Hence my original question on what was the norm for the sector.

From what you're saying, at the mid- to high-end of the kitchen market, it seems discounting isn't common. Of course I'll ask for best price etc., but it looks like I shouldn't expect too much.

By the way, as a related item, I've heard from more than one supplier that Miele absolutely insist that nobody sells their equipment at less than list price. I don't know whether to be impressed that they're able to do this, or just wonder if it's legal (being anti-competitive and price fixing in nature). Is what I'm being told true?

Our kitchen is coming next week from what i understand to be a very reputable and well known irish kitchen company. Not exceptionaly large but the original price was 13k. We then made a few changes and added granite and it came to 18k but we got it for 14500 in the end.

Our kitchen provider is known for doing mainly new houses and maybe they are quite due to the slow down in new houses and hence the discount.

when buying appliances through a kitchen company (which Miele seem to prefer as a sales outlet) the margins for the seller are so small its highly unlikely you would get much of a discount irrespective of what Miele may think.

I do believe they discourage below RRP selling but am not sure as we always sell at RRP and Miele have never had a reason to reproach us.

Electrical stores naturally sell at higher volumes and i expect have higher margins - therefore room to discount. The one benefit you should be able to get from buying through a kitchen company is that they will probably include fitting in the price as opposed to having the appliances dropped at your door and having to pay someone else to fit

Regards
barry

Fair enough I guess, although one of the places that told us about their discount policy was an electrical store.

Sometimes, I just think I'm in the wrong business: I'm sure Miele's margins are high enough, so hats off to them if they can get their distribution channel to accept (a) low margins and/or (b) no-discounts.

Back