New Kitchen-Full payment request prior to installation

How2survive

Hi there,

I have seen the kitchen that I would like to purchase in Kitchen World. From reviews I have seen they appear to have a great reputation and have been in business for a very long time. My only concern is that they have requested payment in full 5 days before installation. They advised that this is standard practice for bathroom/kitchen companies and assured us that the 5 year warrantee would provide security. The kitchen is 12k so alot of money to loose if things don't go right. Would be grateful for any advice/thoughts on this please.

I wouldn't be happy with that, I put in a 7k kitchen last year and only paid I think from memory about 2k deposit, balance when it was installed. Might go to 50% but I'd be slow to pay up the lot! I spoke to a few kitchen places before going with mine and none wanted the whole lot up front, however they were mainly small operators and not a bit shop type outfit.

Hi there,

I have seen the kitchen that I would like to purchase in Kitchen World. From reviews I have seen they appear to have a great reputation and have been in business for a very long time. My only concern is that they have requested payment in full 5 days before installation. They advised that this is standard practice for bathroom/kitchen companies and assured us that the 5 year warrantee would provide security. The kitchen is 12k so alot of money to loose if things don't go right. Would be grateful for any advice/thoughts on this please.
I would have thought that’s standard. I had to pay in full for my kitchen and utility units before they delivered items. But perhaps it’s not. Are they fitting it for you or have they provided a fitter you have to pay separately/your own fitter?

I wouldn't be happy with that, I put in a 7k kitchen last year and only paid I think from memory about 2k deposit, balance when it was installed. Might go to 50% but I'd be slow to pay up the lot! I spoke to a few kitchen places before going with mine and none wanted the whole lot up front, however they were mainly small operators and not a bit shop type outfit.
Jus posted at same time. Obviously different companies have different requirements

I could understand that it is standard practice if you are buying from somewhere like IKEA/Noyeks maybe and any big showroom type place which I presume Kitchen World is that you would have to pay for the units etc before delivery much like anything else. Although I know my guy ordered in the units/doors too as opposed to making them himself.

One thing to have to pay for the units up front but labour has cost nothing until it's installed, seems a tad much to be expected to pay up front for installation.

Wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I'd have thought it an average enough price and "talk to Joe" would have been all over it if there was a screw missing. What exactly do you think might go wrong?

Thanks for the responses, appreciate them all. The price includes labour. My thoughts and experience have always been deposit upfront to cover materials with balance usually for labour paid once the job has been completed to the pre agreed standard. My parents had a bad experience many years back, they paid for a kitchen in full only for the company to go bust and they were left with nothing.

I know they say that their guarantee will cover things but it is standard practice to hold back a portion so that you have some come back if the work is not to your satisfaction.

If it was me I'd offer 50% upfront, 25% when starting install and the remainder on completion to your satisfaction
If their not willing to do that I'd keep looking, you know now what you like and should be easier to find with another supplier

I am having new patio doors fitted and I have to pay up front two weeks before delivery and installation.

If it was me I'd offer 50% upfront, 25% when starting install and the remainder on completion to your satisfaction
If their not willing to do that I'd keep looking, you know now what you like and should be easier to find with another supplier
You'll be looking for quite a while with material getting dearer and dearer in the meantime.

I had my kitchen installed by Kitchen World in 2019. I remember being uncomfortable with this policy but the company had been recommended by a reliable builder. Thankfully there were no issues (other than a few minor niggles that were sorted). Can you pay by card? They offer some protection.

Thanks for the responses, appreciate them all. The price includes labour. My thoughts and experience have always been deposit upfront to cover materials with balance usually for labour paid once the job has been completed to the pre agreed standard. My parents had a bad experience many years back, they paid for a kitchen in full only for the company to go bust and they were left with nothing.
Your view is probably coloured by the bad experience your parents had - understandably too, but Kitchen World is a family run business that's been going for 40 years it so seems fairly solid. In your place I would bite the bullet, pay up front and get the kitchen you want for 12k asap rather than spending more time and energy hunting around for a substitute. Just my opinion of course.

Well think of it as ordering from IKEA and paying up front and getting free delivery and installation. Same thing apart from maybe the timeframe.

Back