New Kitchen - Cheaper Vs Expensive

Hurling Fan

We are building a house and have started to look at kitchens. Just wondering has anyone any thoughts on cheaper Vs more expensive. Does it work out more economical to spend more initially or is is just madness to spend say 20-25K on a kitchen. Would we be better off installing a less expensive model and maybe changing it in 5 years time if it starts to look rough and show wear and tear. Would welcome your opinions. Thanks

Hi,

I think you'd be mad to spend 20-25k on a kitchen, afterall most of the units are the same, its just the doors you are paying for. The more expensive ones tend to date faster also. We just had a new kitchen installed for a fraction of that price and it looks great. I wouldn't feel guilty about changing my mind in 5 years time if I wanted to replace it.

G

Its the inconvenience of being without a kitchen that's the worst part of the job. Possibly for a week or more taking into account fitting, tiling etc. Its probably best to go for something mid-range and hopefully something that won't date too quickly. Don't forget that in a lot of cases its not just the kitchen that gets a replacement but all the expensive machinery that goes into it also.

I think a 5 year lifespan for a kitchen would be a waste of money and environmentally irresponsible. Apart from the fact that anyone who was endured the turmoil of having a new kitchen fitted and associated builder's work would probably need more than 5 years before they'd consider ripping the lot out and starting again! Just my tuppence worth. I think quality appliances are worth spending money, especially if you actually enjoy cooking and plan to use them. I'd forgo fancy cabinetry and spend a little more on quality worktops and floor finishes- these suffer the most abuse. Little extras like good lighting, matching sockets and quality equipment give an ordinary kitchen a touch of flair.

Hi Carpenter,

Purely out of curiosity, what would you consider to be an appropriate figure for that type of kitchen or is this another 'how long is a piece of string' question?

Thanks,

Sueellen.

I would agree Carpenter, I hope I am not taking out my kitchen in 5 years time, but if I really had to, I wouldn't feel so bad since it was such good value.

We spent alot of money on the appliances, we chose on quality and picked the best of each model in the shop, as spending an extra couple of hundred per appliance will hopefully serve us better in the long run. Same applied to the tiles and worktop. We just didn't see the point in spending massive amounts on the kitchen doors.

Goodluck in your kitchen hunt, and I would agree with Sue Ellen, we moved in this day 3 weeks ago and the kitchen is only complete now (in saying that, the sink is only being plumbed tomorrow..haha)

G

I think that it is worth getting a decent kitchen to begin with - how often are you going to change your kitchen..........for me I would plan to have it at least 20 years! Buy something that will not date or that you could alter in some way if you needed to (paint/change handles etc).

That said that is assuming that the 25k kitchen is better than the 15k one........not always the case.......do your homework & check quality etc.....